Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Table Finished

Changing Table Finished

This morning I picked up the needed drawer slides, and fitted the drawer, front piece, and a pull. I just finished that sucker with one coat of Danish oil. I expect a couple more coats and then I'll ship to Houston. The DIL went in labor this AM, so it is a good example of "just in time" supply. Who said woodworkers couldn't be modern.

The top and drawer face ended up being made from some Cherry shorts and one piece of Cherry scrap I had in the shop. Not my best work but then I expect it will be firewood in a year or so. BTW, did I tell you how much I hate painting.

changingTableFinished.jpg

On to making a shop sized Moravian workbench and I expect some chairs to follow. I found some 12/4 Ash for a good price to make the bench base and I expect some chairs as well. I should have it in hand in a couple of weeks.

ken

Nice going Ken. Aren't you going to go with it and demonstrate the proper form when using it? Needs blaze orange guard rails too.
    Jim

Hi Ken,

Very Nice! I like the wood grain contrast with the paint. I think your DIL will love it!

I was wondering about some sort of guard rail too as a safety feature to though....don't know about blaze orange though. Not sure your DIL will be real fond of blaze orange for baby stuff....don't think that is a real popular baby color, but how would I know. Maybe pink or blue? (Kind of traditional colors for babies.)

You mentioned Danish Oil...are you going to put a moisture seal on the top like polyU?

By the way, there are a lot of us, I would guess, who are looking forward to the next bench build. 12/3 ash...it doesn't get much better! I will be really interested in how the shop size bench will turn out in actual use.

Don't bet on the changing table being firewood though, your DIL may really like it and find other uses for it in babies room. My wife would have found another use for such, I am sure. There may be some sort of emotional attachment to such an item for the mom.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-09-2018 at 11:17 PM.

I like how the grain on the drawer runs into the handle from both edges. I'm probably a minority on this, but I like the small streak of sapwood in the top too.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Nice going Ken. Aren't you going to go with it and demonstrate the proper form when using it? Needs blaze orange guard rails too.
    Jim
    Jim,

I was thinking of UK style yellow with blue stripes but sadly SWMBO nixed that one.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Very Nice! I like the wood grain contrast with the paint. I think your DIL will love it!

I was wondering about some sort of guard rail too as a safety feature to though....don't know about blaze orange though. Not sure your DIL will be real fond of blaze orange for baby stuff....don't think that is a real popular baby color, but how would I know. Maybe pink or blue? (Kind of traditional colors for babies.)

You mentioned Danish Oil...are you going to put a moisture seal on the top like polyU?

By the way, there are a lot of us, I would guess, who are looking forward to the next bench build. 12/3 ash...it doesn't get much better! I will be really interested in how the shop size bench will turn out in actual use.

Don't bet on the changing table being firewood though, your DIL may really like it and find other uses for it in babies room. My wife would have found another use for such, I am sure. There may be some sort of emotional attachment to such an item for the mom.

Stew
    Stew,

On advice of TLOML, no guard rails. Why, not a clue, but while I may be a dumb West Texas farm boy I've learned one thing in life....Just do what the boss says even if it is wrong. The smartest thing I've learned, and it took way too long to learn, is the phase "yes dear".

I'm not sure about the poly, maybe.

I'm interested in seeing how the bench scales to shop sized as well. While I like a Beech slab, if I can find a wide enough 12/4 something (Ash, Red Oak, Soft Maple, whatever) I will go with it. Otherwise the slab will be glued up Beech. The vise will be made with a Lake Erie Toolworks wood screw and the chop out of something, most likely scrap from either the base or slab. While I'm not a fan of vises in the 'tail" position, if I do a glue up slab I may install a Veritas sliding tail vise, a solid slab probably not.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    I like how the grain on the drawer runs into the handle from both edges. I'm probably a minority on this, but I like the small streak of sapwood in the top too.
    Thanks Ralph,

I have no problem with Cherry sap wood in tops, I've used it often.

On advice of MsBubba there are no rails so no need to peg 'em. I'll post some photos of 'blind pegging" in a later post.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    On advice of TLOML, no guard rails. Why, not a clue, but while I may be a dumb West Texas farm boy I've learned one thing in life....Just do what the boss says even if it is wrong.
    I learned more about changing tables than I ever wanted to know when I built for my grandson. There are little mattress pads that are contoured, with straps or other mounting methods that will secure to almost any surface. Unless you know just what pad they will use, your guard rails can end up in the wrong place.

The customer is always right ;-) Great job on something that may prove to be used longer than you think. Some of our quick builds turn into heirlooms.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Usually..IF someone wants something I build painted....I hand them a brush...and then just walk away...

Nice lean modern piece ,and that contrast is real nice. I'm sure they will be delighted with it .

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I learned more about changing tables than I ever wanted to know when I built for my grandson. There are little mattress pads that are contoured, with straps or other mounting methods that will secure to almost any surface. Unless you know just what pad they will use, your guard rails can end up in the wrong place.

The customer is always right ;-) Great job on something that may prove to be used longer than you think. Some of our quick builds turn into heirlooms.
    Thanks Glenn,

Good info on the mattress pads, I hadn't a clue.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Usually..IF someone wants something I build painted....I hand them a brush...and then just walk away...
    Steven,

If I did that most likely it would never be painted or finished.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Nice lean modern piece ,and that contrast is real nice. I'm sure they will be delighted with it .
    Thanks Mel,

I'm leaning more and more to building vernacular furniture. It just pleases my eye.

ken

Hey Ken,

Looks great! And i'll echo what others have said about the pads--I am still using the dresser that we used as a changing station with a pad on top (though do need to get around to painting the dresser, it's still lavender...).

Anyway, I suspect the table will be repurposed for things other than firewood for years to come! Glad you're onto the next project(s).

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This is a very nice design.