Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Table Finished

Ken,

I completely understand the reason for no guard rails now. Like you I am slowly learning how to say "yes dear" also, but my wife and I have only been married a bit over 40 years, so you can't expect me to learn everything in such a short time period.

One difficulty I have is to understand what she is telling me. What I take as a very long meandering confusing inconclusive discussion on her part (which I may eventually tune out), she takes as a quick to the point statement of how she wants something done or made. What I want to hear is more like "make it 12 inches wide and paint it white." Oh well.

When it comes to knowing all things "baby" the daughters and wives know an infinite amount compared to me, and that seems likely in the case of most fathers and grandfathers, I would guess.

I have thought about the same idea for a tail vise on a portable bench, that you mention above, so I bet there will be considerable interest in how that works out.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-10-2018 at 8:29 PM.

Ken,

I too like the grain on the drawer, and I like the simple clean lines and design. I have a very old oak arts and craft design library table, about desk size, that needs restoring, and is in pieces in the garage attic. Hopefully I can restore it some day and use for a desk, and it has family history. Strange as it may seem, your changing table lines remind me a great deal of that old library table. I like arts and crafts designs.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hey Ken,

Looks great! And i'll echo what others have said about the pads--I am still using the dresser that we used as a changing station with a pad on top (though do need to get around to painting the dresser, it's still lavender...).

Anyway, I suspect the table will be repurposed for things other than firewood for years to come! Glad you're onto the next project(s).

Best,
    C
    Chris,

Thinks. I shipped that sucker out via UPS yesterday. Amazon store bought would have been cheaper .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    This is a very nice design.
    Thanks Richard,

It is kinda all porpoise but works well and is a easy build.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

I completely understand the reason for no guard rails now. Like you I am slowly learning how to say "yes dear" also, but my wife and I have only been married a bit over 40 years, so you can't expect me to learn everything in such a short time period.

One difficulty I have is to understand what she is telling me. What I take as a very long meandering confusing inconclusive discussion on her part (which I may eventually tune out), she takes as a quick to the point statement of how she wants something done or made. What I want to hear is more like "make it 12 inches wide and paint it white." Oh well.

When it comes to knowing all things "baby" the daughters and wives know an infinite amount compared to me, and that seems likely in the case of most fathers and grandfathers, I would guess.

I have thought about the same idea for a tail vise on a portable bench, that you mention above, so I bet there will be considerable interest in how that works out.

Stew
    Ken,

I too like the grain on the drawer, and I like the simple clean lines and design. I have a very old oak arts and craft design library table, about desk size, that needs restoring, and is in pieces in the garage attic. Hopefully I can restore it some day and use for a desk, and it has family history. Strange as it may seem, your changing table lines remind me a great deal of that old library table. I like arts and crafts designs.

Stew
    Stew,

I guess we are alike on the baby stuff, at least MsBubba tells me I haven't a clue.

I love to see the works of Derek and Mike and doubt I could ever match the skill they have so the next might be sour grapes but what I enjoy building and what I like in my house is pretty primitive. Solid joints and clean lines work for me.

I'll only consider putting a tail vise on if the slab is a glue up. I don't use one enough to justify any real effort to install. That said, I'm trying to find a solid slab but will glue up some Beech if unable to find one.

ken

Ken,

My goof. When you mentioned the Veritas Sliding Tail Vise, I was thinking of Veritas Wonder Dogs. I had thought about such for a small simple tail vise for a portable bench.

I had remembered that you previously had mentioned that you very seldom used a tai vise, and that you would not put one on your first Moravia bench.

Anyway, my goof.

Stew

Ken,

My goof. When you mentioned the Veritas Sliding Tail Vise, I was thinking of Veritas Wonder Dogs. I had thought about such for a small simple tail vise for a portable bench.

I had remembered that you previously had mentioned that you very seldom used a tai vise, and that you would not put one on your first Moravia bench.

Anyway, my goof.

Stew
    Stew,

No problem. If you look at the first photo of the "Tool Tray" thread you will see a wonder Dog installed. I don't use it often, most of the time it lives in one of the tool cabinets but it is there if needed.

ken

Ken,

How well does the Wonder Dog work for things like holding lumber to face plane, or other tail vise tasks? Would you recommend it as a good low weight option for a tail vise on a portable bench? (I realize that on a portable bench you give up a bit compared to a full size bench, to gain portability.)

Stew

Ken,

How well does the Wonder Dog work for things like holding lumber to face plane, or other tail vise tasks? Would you recommend it as a good low weight option for a tail vise on a portable bench? (I realize that on a portable bench you give up a bit compared to a full size bench, to gain portability.)

Stew
    Stew,

It holds ok , but 90% of the time there are better or easier ways to hold the work. The same applies to any vise in the tail position. Stops, battens, doe's feet, and holdfasts usually work better and faster. I haven't worked on the portable bench long enough for it to have its full complement of dog holes but in time it will.

ken

That's a nice looking changing table.

I predict it won't see the firewood pile.

I don't know about firewood. I think it looks great. It is funny how often things we make hang around. My very first project was a set of painted bookcases and curio cabinets made out of painted MDF. Miserable stuff. But darn if we didn't drag those things around with us for 20 years before we got rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    That's a nice looking changing table.

I predict it won't see the firewood pile.
    Thanks John,

I hope you are correct.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    I don't know about firewood. I think it looks great. It is funny how often things we make hang around. My very first project was a set of painted bookcases and curio cabinets made out of painted MDF. Miserable stuff. But darn if we didn't drag those things around with us for 20 years before we got rid of them.
    Jeff,

Now that's funny but I've BTDT as well. One of my projects while waiting for the work bench Ash so I can start that build is going through our stored "junk". Damn there is a lot of it, most of which will/would never be used. The good news, pile it on the driveway with a "free" sign and it doesn't stay long.

ken