Thread: Walnut routed slat mirror

Walnut routed slat mirror

Way back when (maybe 1982 or 3) I made a bunch of routed trivits using a cross routing technique. After I got into turning I saw Hans Weisflog's turnings and made some pendants. I've done a lot of routing on turnings and mirrors but never made one with the cross slat idea. I never made a mirror using that tecnique. I made a few sketches however. Finally dug out my sketches and modified one and made this. It's not exactly what I had in mind in my sketches and if I have time I may make another one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very impressive and well executed. Going from brain to sketch to 3 dimensional piece like this is amazing.
    Where did I put that?

John, I'm very impressed with your turning abilities, and amount of effort and thought that went into making this mirror. But I'm sorry sir, personally, I would have to place this particular mirror, in the to gawdy section for me. There are some beautiful features in this turning, but, I think you went just a bit to far with adding features. I know of no woman that would enjoy using a mirror with that handle, it just wouldn't be comfortable to use. And the protrusion sticking out of the back of it, is just to large and high. Usually, I enjoy seeing what you've come up with, but I'm sorry to say, not this time. I hope you don't mind my bluntness, but I'd rather be honest then to just say nice job. Especially, when I wouldn't mean it. I look forward to viewing your next piece, hopefully, it'll be one I like. But it's like they say, different strokes for different folks. I checked and Iwas surprised to see, that you don't have a site of your own for people to viewand purchase your work from. Take care,and keep on turning.
    Len

No problem Len. Every once in a while I make what I call and Art mirror. Not designed to be used, just to look at and be different. I'm not computer literate enough to put together a site to sell work but may have to look into that before too long.