Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

9 Jul 2018

Greetings,
    It's been a hard week at the day job, our company was sold and the deal is supposed to close on 31 Dec 2018. Now we wait to see if we all have jobs after the new owner takes over.
    Been working on a very high profile customer project at the day job so precious little time left for anything else but work and sleep.
    I'm still waiting for Fall Temps to show up so I can get back in my shop. Heat Index in my shop one afternoon last week was 124 degrees F. Way too hot for me.
    I'm still on my new eating plan and while my weight loss is slowing down, the LOML and I have ramped up our trips to the local gym for workout time.
    The good thing is that I'm getting time to plan out the queen sized bed for son #2 and I'll build son #3 one just like it but only using different wood. I'm going to make each of them come in the shop and help me when they aren't working or in school. Son #2 will be finished with his HVACR school by fall of next year. He's already EPA certified for every type from refrigerant minus one. He's number 1 in all his classes and he's loving every bit of it. I'm really excited for him and proud as I can be. Son #3 is still trying to find himself but he's working part time and sorting life out.
    We celebrated birthday #2 for our granddaughter tonight and we also celebrated by daughter's birthday on the 4th. Like I said....it's been a really busy and hard week but a blessed one as well.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

We have just come off 24 hours with no electricity. I complained too soon that winter had not really arrived. That was the signal for Force 9 sou'wester winds to arrive. Trees down over power lines. We lost a beautiful Tasmanian Blue Gum at the corner of one of the goat paddocks. Naturally it took out both fences so the goats are shut out of that paddock. The neighbours lost 5 blue gums.

Lately work seems to consist of trying to patiently explain to colleagues how projects need to be managed to avoid last minute panic and the associated cost blowouts. I really was patient with them, I promise....! We have a new multi million dollar contract about to start that includes liquidated damages. I am familiar with the concept, others not so much.

After all that, no time was left for the woodworking. Cheers

Dennis, so much going on with you and yours!

Not a hugely exciting week, but productive, for the most part. I got more work done on some marketing sample signs, a web site redesign (yet to be deployed) and some other things in the shop, including taking delivery of a sheet of 1/4" Corian and getting a bunch of sign blanks cut out for a CNC personalized product I'll be selling. There was the usual lawn mowing (it finally looks nice and neat after all that very wet weather we had last month got things a little out of sorts) and other household activities. And there was celebrating Professor Dr. SWMBO's birthday yesterday...with everyone present for dinner since the "work elves" managed to have my younger not on-shift for the evening dinner service.

This week unfortunately includes replacing the water heater on the "original" side of the house. It succumbed to our acid water situation, but was in place since 2011, so I guess we got our money's worth out of it. The new unit is essentially the same, albeit with the Reem name on it, rather than Paloma/WaiWiela, so it should be an "easy" swap. Of course, I probably jinxed things by saying that! LOL I also have some more sign and craft marketing samples to work on, business insurance to deal with and to slap my accountant up-side his head to complete something I paid him for. (very frustrating...he's a friend, but unfortunately elderly and has some health issues)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I mainly just survived the week.

I hurt my back two weeks ago so no lifting of anything more than 1 or 2 pounds. Healing has been slow with lots of time in bed with a heat pad and pain meds. Been hanging out off and on in SMC and reading. Did get the chance to watch some baseball on tv.

Probably another week or two before I can do anything in the shop.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Marshall, I understand your pain. The odd thing is that my back gets sore when I get too much rest. If I sleep too long without moving, or if I am down for a couple of days with a cold or flu. I had a fall from a second story scaffolding when I was a carpenter 25 years ago and crushed a vertebrae. I need to stay active or gimp around all hunched over.

Anyway, not much went on in the workshop this last week. We were doing the final touches on the landscaping for the year. (I hope) Got the walkway from the patio to the firepit completed. Two yards of dirt hauled out, 1/2 yard of gravel put in for a bed, laid out the flagstones, and 1/2 yard of crushed granite put in around the stones. For good measure, I put in another 1/2 yard of crushed granite in the fire pit. Just to get it a little deeper.

Finished that up just in time to cook the burgers and brats for the party on Saturday. We had a party for my fiance's graduation with her relations.

Yesterday we cleaned up everything that wasn't taken care of the night before, went out for brunch, and went on a nice relaxing 100 mile motorcycle ride.

Marshall, sorry to hear about your back, hopefully you make a quick rapid recovery.

I completed some more work on three raised planters for the back yard, didn't do as much as I wanted to, weather is really hot.

There are 2 planters that use quantity 6 patio slabs on edge, and one planter that uses 4 slabs.

The perimeter top/clamp is made from cedar with 4 inch wide, 3 inch long 1/2" tenons and TBIII glue. An exterior oil finish has also been applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got the opportunity to spend the week at our small lake cabin in mid-Michigan. Was able to get to the Au Sable River for some fly fishing a couple days. We’ve been having a heat wave, and it’s been quite tough on the fish. River temp was reaching 71 degrees...getting to the danger zone for trout. Came across a 20” brown belly up wiggling about in the stream...hate to see it. Probably a combination of the heat and a lot of fishing pressure the last few weeks due to the hex hatch...while the section I was fishing is flys & catch and release only, that can be stressful on the trout.

My son and I did get 3 nice walleye out of the lake that made for a fne dinner one evening.

The only woodworking related activity was stopping into a flea market. Found 3 saws...an Atkins, a Disston, and a Simonds. The Atkins and Simonds will make for good users...the Disston must have been a well loved and used saw...only about 1” left at the heal. It’s a newer model, so it may become scrapers and spare nuts. May post something in the Neander area when I get around to cleaning these up.

Marshall, when sleeping or laying down, try to get yourself into a neutral or zero-gravity position (knees up above your heart, and back up 15 or 20 degrees...it will take a lot of pressure off your entire spine.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice.

Feeling better after yesterday's chiro visit but still not back to 100%.

My son was in the shop yesterday building a headboard for his bed. I so wanted to be a part of that build project but there just wasn't much I could do. I want to do some rearranging in the shop but even with the TS, jointer and other tools on rolling stands I'm afraid to try.

On the bright side I had an issue of WoodSmith magazine come n the mail yesterday and Amazon delivery my Great Book of Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture yesterday. SO at least I have SMC and these to read.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.