Thread: I messed Up

I messed Up

I was given the top to an Urn my friends building for his in laws. The piece was already stained with no other finish on it and I engraved it with out masking first
    How can I remove the soot without removing any stain???
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would try Denatured Alcohol

Do you have a pic? Depending on the stain, you might try a light dilution of orange cleaner with a microfiber cloth.

Give it back to him and have him lightly sand with fine sandpaper and re stain and then poly varnish. Do over.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I don't think sanding and re-staining is an option because the stain will bleed into the engraving .
    IMG_20180708_163353267 (Copy).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Do you have a pic? Depending on the stain, you might try a light dilution of orange cleaner with a microfiber cloth.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Alcohol, super lightly put on a towel. Let it dry in the towel so it’s just barely wet. I mean almost dry. Then wipe super lightly and make sure it’s now damaging the stain. If it is, it’ll be super light and not noticeable. Repeat until it’s gone. Just make sure the rag or towel is almost dry to the touch.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Alcohol, super lightly put on a towel. Let it dry in the towel so it’s just barely wet. I mean almost dry. Then wipe super lightly and make sure it’s now damaging the stain. If it is, it’ll be super light and not noticeable. Repeat until it’s gone. Just make sure the rag or towel is almost dry to the touch.
    It will probably soften the finish but if you go as lightly as Steve is telling you then it will not be noticeable. If it is noticeable then lightly wipe the entire surface and it should blend in. Same thing happened to a bunch of Alder planks I engraved and they ended up fine.

I mentioned this in another thread, try turpentine-- it's kinda oily, dries very slow, and I've never known it to attack plastics or dried paint or finishes. Not saying it can't, but I've never seen it- I use it to clean the edge goo when cutting Rowmark; when using DNA on Rowmark, and yellow especially (and Duets REAL especially), the DNA attacks and removes it fairly quick. Turpentine does nothing to the colors but does remove the goo.

One of my competitors that I didn't know existed called me last week about doing an metal urn ironcially- after some chatting I found out he does lots of wood, and told me what he uses to clean soot is antibacterial wipes with Clorox... maybe give that a test drive? (I rarely engrave wood or I wood--er, would)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Water Bert, same as you would clean mirrors with to remove soot, a lightly damp cloth and a light rub will do it
    You did what !

Bert
    I've had good success with mineral spirits (almost like Kev's suggestion) and at times a cleaner such as Pine-sol has worked. One thing I use is a less coarse version of the green 3M scratchers--I can't remember if it's gray or maroon but you can get them at Woodcraft or Rockler. Use them lightly then I use a paste wax to buff a uniform finish on the wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I've heard several folks using the Chlorox wipes. I usually use DNA, but I'd try a soft cloth and water first. If finish is hard cured (several days old at least) it shouldn't hurt a thing. Soft and light with the motion.
    If it doesn't get it, try DNA second if you don't have a Chlorox wipe on hand. Third would be turpentine, it shouldn't touch finish. Last would be mineral spirits. Only on fully cured finish.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    Oh, and you aren't the lone Ranger here. I've done several items without masking.... So far I've been able to clean. And on this, I wouldn't have probably thought about it at all.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Turpentine is usually a pine oil solvent, similar to citrus cleaners, like the orange cleaner I suggested. The tricky part is to mix a dilution that is just strong enough to remove the sap and stain residue, without lifting the stain. I would use a soft microfiber, not an abrasive, and a light touch.

Epilog has a tutorial where they recommend using orange hand cleaner (same active ingredient) for residue removal from wood. Here's the link:

http://support.epiloglaser.com/artic...idue-from-wood

If you're worried about the surface being sensitive, try a small amount of white vinegar on a wet rag. This is all we ever really use for cleanup now and it usually works on all types of wood and finishes.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried the water today first, but it just kinda smudged it all around without removing it. The I tried the DNA after I let it get almost dry and that cleaned it pretty good but did lighten the stain a little . I delivered it back to my buddy who's making the urn. He's going to sand it a little more then light stain to touch it up. Thanks for all the help here. MASK_MASK< MASK---- LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander