Thread: Questions on Pony Pipe Clamps

Questions on Pony Pipe Clamps

Hi All,

I have thought about getting a few Pony pipe clamp fixtures, since I have a few of the Craftsman pipe clamps, and like the pony clamps much better, thus would take the Craftsman fixtures off of the pipes, and replace them with Pony fixtures.

I am wanting old ones, as the new ones are made in China, and as such think vintage is generally better.

That said there are more than one model of Pony 3/4" pipe clamp heads that all look about the same. Any comments on where to find info on the various model numbers of the standard Pony clamps would be much appreciated. I need to look at mine and see what the differences are, assuming I have more than one type (unknown at this time.)

Also, do any of you use the 1/2" pipe size Pony clamps? Are they fine for shorter lengths, say two feet or shorter?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Blog Entries
    Adjustable Clamp (the makers of Pony clamps) closed. I believe someone is making some of the models after buying the rights but, am not totally clear on that. The Bessey "H" series 3/4" heads and the Rockler "Sure Foot" models are the better versions for woodworkers IMHO due to the feet and handle clearance.

You can also add your own elevators to other versions as I did here . . .

Pipe Clamp Cauls (7).jpgPipe Clamp Cauls (8).jpgPipe Clamp Cauls (9).jpg

on some Pony model 50's bought back in the day.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Thanks for the info. I knew Adjustable made the Pony clamps, but did not know that they had gone under....hate to see that.

In our area Adjustable was the main type of high quality clamps. I have a number of their 3" and bigger C-clamps, in my view they made great clamps, very high quality.

The stands on your clamps look really serviceable, I will have to make some. Thanks for the tip.

Stew

Almost had too many clamps...today
    case clamped.jpg
    Kind of a mixed bag.....all are from yard sales
    IMG_4959 (640x480).jpg
    not very picky, just as long as they grip the pipe..
    stashed.jpg

I checked the auction site, and was amazed at what the old ones are going for now. I have a lot of them that I bought new in the '70's, and 80's. The ones I don't like are the ones (either 1/2" or 3/4") with sliding handles. I have used them on multiples of 20' pipe, put together with couplers, to pull old houses back together.

Hi Tom,

You aren't alone on the price shock. I must not be the only one wanting the vintage clamps.

From the auction site, what model numbers are the ones with the "sliding handles?"

Thanks and regards,

Stew

I just did a search there for "pony pipe clamps" out of curiosity created by this thread. The ones with the thin handle that slides back, and forth, are pretty obvious in the pictures, as opposed to the ones with the one piece black handle. My 1/2" ones have that type of handle, and I never used them unless I ran out of the 3/4" ones when I was clamping something. I still use pipe clamps when the parallel clamps don't quite have enough ass to pull something together.

Blog Entries
    The sliding handles generally appear on the model 52 which is for 1/2" pipe; too much flex for my use. The 3/4" Pony's are model 50's.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The sliding handles are nice...you can add a long pattern Box end wrench to them to get more torque....course, then you'd need that wrench to remove the clamp....

Steven,

Had to smile that you "ALMOST" had too many clamps. I thought that once too, when I had to replace the skin on a door, I think I had about 2 dozen c-clamps, or more, plus clamp pressure spreader boards on that thing. Every C-clamp, short quick grip clamp, and short F type clamp I had was on it. It was enough, but at the time wished I had more.

Stew

Pipe clamps have been stashed out of the way..
    IMG_4976 (640x480).jpg
    Rather a mixed bag.....C clamps are also stashed..
    IMG_4984 (640x480).jpg
    Well...most of them, anyway. F style ones (8 of them) hang from the ceiling joist....
    Been on the look out for such things, while doing them yard sale trips....