Thread: A neat old puzzle.

A neat old puzzle.

I have this old jigsaw puzzle that belonged to my grand parents. We were allowed to play with it once in a while when we visited. My mother told me she used to play with it when she was young, so it has to be 90+ years old. I'm not sure who made it as it has no markings.
    IMG_2724.jpg
    The puzzle is about 3" wide and 3-1/2" tall. It appears to be made of maple. It opens up into 11 pieces. The largest piece is a rocking chair (even thought I photographed it on its back). There is a footstool, three sleds and some other shapes that are difficult to identify.
    IMG_2725.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Contribute

I agree - that is neat!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

That's a wonderful heirloom, Lee. No wonder you got interested in woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    That's a wonderful heirloom, Lee. No wonder you got interested in woodworking.
    I agree, a real treasure.

You now have the opportunity to broaden and extend the legacy a few more generations by making some duplicates to give away. With markings. (I'll be glad to send you my mailing address!)

JKJ

Thats cool. How long did it take you to figure out the puzzle?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Very cool! I would love to see an assembly video.
    Please help support the Creek.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. - Steven Wright

Okay Here is some more information. First off I was wrong about the age, this puzzle was made for and is stamped for the Pan American Exposition of 1901. That would make it about 117 years old. Apparently I failed to turn it over and look at the bottom closely in good light.
    IMG_2738.jpg

Here are shots of the cut lines should anyone with a scroll saw want to duplicate the design.
    IMG_2726.jpgIMG_2727.jpg

Here is the disassembly sequence:
    IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg

To be continued....
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-09-2018 at 4:50 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Contribute

More photos

IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg

Reassembly takes less than a minute.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

How someone would even begin to think about and design something like that is beyond my comprehension.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening