Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latex Glove Question

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    Actually you initially said "I tend to prefer latex gloves to nitrite", not that you didn't like them. Others are offering their insight to help you with your decision. Personally, I use both 5 mil & 7 mil gloves and think that the 14 mil is to thick for stretching over one's hand and for tactile feed back.
    stand corrected Al. I did say prefer rather than like. I am thinking I might just try the ones John mentioned after his second comment. I'm also really interested in trying vinyl just to see.
    I
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I swear by these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toughest glove of their type that I have used.

Venom Steel Premium Industrial Nitrile Gloves

They fit pretty tight for me, work great! Apparently bikers even use them to work on their bikes.
    OUCH! The XL only come in a box of 500. $$$$

Stew Hagerty

Check with Costco or Sam's club. Costco sells nitrile, vinyl and latex.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    In regards to chemicals and the different gloves a good reference (probably many better ones on the web) is in the Lee Valley catalog on page 327 of the current one.
    You're right, this is very informative. Thank you!

Gloves.jpg

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    OUCH! The XL only come in a box of 500. $$$$
    The link that I provided is for a box of 100. They are just under $0.02 each, so I roughly assume that I spend $0.04 each time I use a pair. Then again, for most of my tasks, I use the same pair multiple times because they hold up.

Raven gloves are probably close to the same thing as those Venom gloves, and come in different size boxes. You can find them on the auction site w/free shipping. The cuff is not as long as the ones John linked to. Blow in them before putting them on, and before taking them off by lifting a cuff, and they will be easier to get on, can be reused.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    The link that I provided is for a box of 100. They are just under $0.02 each, so I roughly assume that I spend $0.04 each time I use a pair. Then again, for most of my tasks, I use the same pair multiple times because they hold up.

I just checked the link and the XL is currently only available in 500 qty.

I've used Radnor nitrile XL for years. I just purchased 3 boxes of the XL industrial 6 mil 100 ct for $38.10 total incl. shipping compared to Woodcraft $15.99 each plus shipping.

http://www.airgas.com/p/RAD64057292?...2:1:350:nosale
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Please check chemical compatibility charts for your glove choices-- the point of gloves is generally to provide protection from something, comfort is a secondary concern. Latex is, by and large, useless for many, if not most solvents and chemicals. It also has large pores that can, for example not particularly relevant here, allow viruses through. Lots of people develop contact dermatitis with latex over time. Nitrile offers, in general, the best protection you can get in a thin, comfortable glove which is why it is now pretty much the universal default glove in medical and lab settings. It's not perfect for everything, so check those compatibility charts for whatever chemicals you are handling.