Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dustopper ?!?

Just discovered the dustopper... Gotta get one! But where can I get one in Canada?! And any idea how I can make it antistatic for use with a Festool vac?

2. Regarding an adaptation that allows Tom Hunley's Dustopper to be mounted to, used with, a Festool Dust Extractor, see my post here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Dust-Extractor

Sandy

3. What does Dustopper do with plane shavings?

I have a Chinese knockoff of the Dust Deputy. Works perfect for planer chips, Bandsaw dust and the likes. However, hand plane shavings all end up in the shop vac. Anybody have any experience experience with the Dustopper and plane shavings?

Hand plane shavings get caught in the dustopsper separator sometimes. Ideally the dust stopper works best on dust and chips. Long curly shavings get caught up more readily and require manual removal. Its not a big deal to get them out but i tend to use a dust pan or my 3hp SDG for sucking up long shavings..

I'm in Northern Virginia now and went to three Home Depot stores looking for a Dustopper. The first two had never heard of it, even after I showed them an image of it attached to the Home Depot orange 5-gallon bucket. The sales associate at the third store had not heard of it, but he went the extra bit and searched for it on his handy HD phone. He found it and told me the Dustopper is not stocked and must be ordered online. Unfortunately, the HD website blocks European IP addresses and doesn't ship to APO addresses. Oh well, I'll continue using my small Dust Deputy clone (Oneida wouldn't mail one of theirs to me).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I'm in Northern Virginia now and went to three Home Depot stores looking for a Dustopper. The first two had never heard of it, even after I showed them an image of it attached to the Home Depot orange 5-gallon bucket. The sales associate at the third store had not heard of it, but he went the extra bit and searched for it on his handy HD phone. He found it and told me the Dustopper is not stocked and must be ordered online. Unfortunately, the HD website blocks European IP addresses and doesn't ship to APO addresses. Oh well, I'll continue using my small Dust Deputy clone (Oneida wouldn't mail one of theirs to me).
    Get a friend stateside to order it to their local store. They can then ship it to your APO address.

Can anyone report if the Duststopper arrangement is easier to move around than the Dust Deputy? I find the DD to be too tippy to easily move around the shop, without making some kind of cart for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Get a friend stateside to order it to their local store. They can then ship it to your APO address.
    I thought about that, but having been stationed in Germany for the past 22 years, all of my friends are on the same side of the ocean as me.

The sales associate who discovered it had to be ordered offered to have it delivered to his store, but couldn't guarantee that it would arrive in time for me to pick it up and mail it.

I like the Dustopper but..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Huntley View Post
    Hi Peter. Your assumption is not accurate. I am the inventor of Dustopper, and can tell you there is a lot going on with this design. The rounded upper chamber; the inverted frustrum, a vortex locator with a separator wall, and more, all make this a very efficient separator. There are a number of flow dynamics issues with the baffle on Thein's design that are corrected on Dustopper. The slot around the perimeter is recessed at the beginning and at its end so that low pressure causes particulate to drop very quickly (at the beginning of the arc) or to continue flowing with out disruption (at the end of the arc.) Unfortunately, since you live in Canada, you have to make assumptions without trying a Dustopper, unless you have visited the US and brought one home with you.
    Hi Tom, Since you are the inventor, perhaps you can respond to me with info on the elbow included in the package. In plumbing terms, an elbow that is large on one end than the other is referred to as a "street el", if I'm not mistaken. This seems to be what's in the package but for a shop vac application with different dimensions than plumbing. I need another elbow just like the one included in the package but have received not response trying their "contact us" website portal and leaving a message on the answering machine. I have no idea if you sold the invention, but perhaps you can tell me how to source the same identical elbow that comes with the Dustopper. I need just another 2" or so reach with the hose and that elbow would provide the correct sizes and length to complete my project. Like many others, I am stacking the Dustopper above my Ridgid Wet Dry vac and I have the buck mounted at its lowest possible point. A second elbow would direct the hose upward and provide a couple inches easily. Thanks.

Dennis, pull the bristle assembly off of one of these and you’ll have a male/female elbow that will work. It’s not identical but will work well with the Dustopper.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-...-Brush/1060273
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I bought a Dustopper and it seems to work well, although I haven't really put through any serious tests yet. It is very "tippy" and definitely requires some sort of cart to make it useful. I was planning to build something when I ran across this video:

https://youtu.be/WyBuRjO54NM

This seems like a great solution and I plan to make one, since I have a Ridgid vac like the one in the video.