Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for security alarm parts.

Looking for security alarm parts.

I need to replace some contact switches on my hardwired alarm system.
    For some reason they are hard to find local. Lucked out last time. My local electric parts house just purchased an used delivery van from ADT and they left some in it.
    I can find places that sell them on line but ,when searching their address in Google maps, they come up houses or buildings with no real business look to them.
    Can anyone recommenced a good source?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Do the switches have any identifying marks on them?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

B&H from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    For some reason they are hard to find local. Lucked out last time. My local electric parts house just purchased an used delivery van from ADT and they left some in it.
    I can find places that sell them on line but ,when searching their address in Google maps, they come up houses or buildings with no real business look to them.
    I work with https://www​.bhphotovideo.com/ for two decades for all my photo stuff. They also have a "surveillance" session with lots of options, hopefully also what are you looking for.

They are very serious business with effective customer service. Highly recommended.

All the best.

I don't understand. Are you planning to drive to their address to pick up the switches or buy them online? If online, why do you care about the business location?

Contact switches are pretty common...heck, they were sold at Radio Shack (RIP) for decades. But if these are "tamper monitored" switches, that makes things more interesting because they need to be compatible with the system. Do a Google search on "Alarm System Parts Online". There are many options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I don't understand. Are you planning to drive to their address to pick up the switches or buy them online? If online, why do you care about the business location?

If I order online I want to be sure I actually receive them.
    Just because someone is selling online don't mean they are not just harvesting your credit card information.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I work with https://www​.bhphotovideo.com/ for two decades for all my photo stuff. They also have a "surveillance" session with lots of options, hopefully also what are you looking for.

They are very serious business with effective customer service. Highly recommended.

All the best.

Ill check it out
    Thanks!
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Contact switches are pretty common...heck, they were sold at Radio Shack (RIP) for decades. But if these are "tamper monitored" switches, that makes things more interesting because they need to be compatible with the system. Do a Google search on "Alarm System Parts Online". There are many options.

Common but try and buy some local. Not so common.
    Radio Shack here in town was my go to source in the past. It was one of the last to go.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-08-2018 at 2:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    - Rick Dale

Just because someone is selling online don't mean they are not just harvesting your credit card information.
    I don't know if you have bad experience in the past, but I never have problem not to receive a product ordered online. But I always ordering from reputable sites, and very rare ordering from eBay.
    Sorry, can't help with the switches.
    Ed.

Since you don't give anything to go on with regards to the switch type, it is difficult to help other than blindly recommend sources such as:

Home Security Store

Security Info Watch

Amazon

If Radio Shack was your go-to place, then the switches might be simple magnetic reed switches.

Quote Originally Posted by eduard nemirovsky View Post
    i don't know if you have bad experience in the past, but i never have problem not to receive a product ordered online. but i always ordering from reputable sites, and very rare ordering from ebay.
    Sorry, can't help with the switches.
    Ed.
    bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Since you don't give anything to go on with regards to the switch type, it is difficult to help other than blindly recommend sources such as:
    That is one reason for my inquiring about identifying marks on the switches or images.

Much of my career was in the field of electronics. There are bunches of old parts in my shop that may fit the bill. It isn't my nature to send out all my old stock so someone can pick through it. Give me the information needed and maybe there is one in my piles of parts.

With other identification it may be easy to locate a vendor.

Looking for something without knowing what is being sought is a fools errand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I dont think seeing a building on google has much to do with getting a few switches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I dont think seeing a building on google has much to do with getting a few switches.
    Many an independent business person works out of their home. It is our modern economy in transition.

My wife and I have a nursery license. We are not doing a ganbuster's nursery business, but we occasionally sell a few plants or other related items.

jtk

I agree with Jim. I ran a construction company and now do custom CNC and laser work out of my home. I had a large account with Revco and CVS