Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forming chisel side bevels.

Forming chisel side bevels.

Using a Simonds Multi-Kut (Chip Breaker) File.

Stewie,
    That tool hasn't been hardened yet, has it? Is it just annealed at the time you form the bevels?
    I'm trying to learn something here.

Thanks,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred; no annealing took place prior to forming the side bevels. The diamond pattern chipbreaking feature on the files are extremely effective on hardened steels.

As a gauge to their effectiveness the following shows the file working stainless steel rod.

Thanks Stewie - that's quite a file!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Stewie: Really nice work there, clean crisp lines. That said, that file is amazing! I've had reworking the side bevels on my set on the to-do list and have been considering different ways but you've definitely swayed my decision quite a bit - Wow.

How did the file fair after the one chisel (how many did you do)? How long did that take?

Thanks again.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems more like a Solution, in search of a problem.....

John; there was close to 45min work on each side bevel. A lot of steel was removed while shaping and jointing these side bevels. Including the short trial on stainless steel, there was no noticeable change in the files cutting action.

(IMO; engineers marking blue or similar dykem is a prerequisite for gauging your progress when forming these side bevels.)
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-08-2018 at 5:13 AM.

I am really surprised those files do so well on hardened steel. They must be very hard themself.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Seems more like a Solution, in search of a problem.....
    300mm 24 TPI Cobalt Hacksaw Blade The Bi-Metal Cobalt blades are constructed with a high speed steel cutting edge with 5% Cobalt welded to tough, flexible alloy steel producing a blade with superior cutting life and resistance to breakage.

Bi-Metal Cobalt (Purple) Designed for tough materials such as stainless steel. The 24 TPI blade is for sawing 3 – 6mm materials. e.g. conduit, heavy sheet metal & tubing.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-08-2018 at 2:26 AM.

Very impressive. I believe I have on of those files lurking about. Lie-Nielsen sold them for a period. The profile that you achieved is exactly what I would be going for. The process does seem to be time and energy consuming, not to mention the eventual demise of that nice file.

That is impressive. I have wiped out the teeth on several files trying to put a side bevel on a chisel....

Any idea if they are still making these?

Plenty of them on the auction site, or from Zoro. I didn't check Amazon, but I would think they have them. I've had good luck with Simonds files. I've never used any of the new ones, other than the red tails, but those have been good enough for anything I needed a new file for.

Here I am telling you guys how good these multi files are, and today the file struggled to make any headway on a W.M. Marples Firmer chisel. (my apologies)

After annealing the steel I was able to form the side bevels with relative ease.

The process will be repeated on the remaining chisels, including flattening the full length of backs, before moving to the final stage of re hardening and tempering the steel.

Flattening the full length of backs will provide a good opportunity to test out the black brick that's on order from TFJ. http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_403 &products_id=1492

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-09-2018 at 7:15 AM.

Thanks. I've been wondering about that "stone".

Now of course I am very curious if you are going to see much warping when you reharden the chisel again. George used to warn us about heat treating beveled items. I am glad you are the test guinea pig, not me