Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedy 400 Ceramic tube replacement/refurb

Speedy 400 Ceramic tube replacement/refurb

Hi there laser community.

I know a lot of you have a great deal of experience with the various options out there and have been down these roads before me. Hoping to get a little advice.

What options you have found to replace/repair a Trotec ceramic laser tube? Mine's has a 120watt tube which is currently firing at about 38 watts.

I've been talking with my salesman and Trotec support which both are very responsive and great to deal with. Thanks to both of them!

We are still tracking down a few possibilities that might be the culprit...but more and more it's looking like its the tube. So I'm doing my research on viable paths forward.

The factory is quoting about $4200 for a new tube these days plus install.
    not sure if there are any other reputable options. A few years ago I figured out that I could find lenses from other suppliers for quite a bit less than the factory price. All the tube threads I've read all seem to be about non ceramic tubes.

For reference - I've had my speedy 400 for 5 years. We replaced a tube at about one year under warranty.

Thanks for you help.
    Bryce
    Last edited by Bryce Mccloud; 07-07-2018 at 7:05 PM.

You might try Laser-Tech on ebay, search "CO2 Laser Evaluation And Testing", I've heard good things about him/them, not sure if he does the ceramics or not, hopefully, as his prices are quite reasonable compared to factory--

I know a few others here know of other options, hopefully they'll chime in soon-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My ceramic tube has just failed as well, I am down to about 18 watts from 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    My ceramic tube has just failed as well, I am down to about 18 watts from 80.
    That's not too bad, is it, Keith? What's that, 8-9 years old now?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I thought I'd lost the 14 < make that 12 year old Synrad in the GCC yesterday, Cermarked one of my big ski lift panels, and the last to engrave, four 1/2" high words, washed off. All else okay.

So I re-engraved. It washed off...

So I re-scrubbed with alky and scrubbing bubbles, and tried EnduraMark. It washed off.

uh oh...

I pulled and wiped the 3 mirrors, which I'd just cleaned the day before so they weren't too bad. I also gave the bottom of the lens a Qtip wipe. Then I upped the res from 500 to 600, lowered the speed from 15 to 12, went back to Cermark-

-It washed off...

Told the wife I thought the tube might need to go in for a refurbish. Went back into the garage, and --finally-- removed the lens...

-- and on top of the lens was some goo that used to be a fly or earwig or ant or some other bug (which are out in full force right now)...

This is my 3rd 'bug incident' with lasers, you'd think I'd learn to pull the lens FIRST by now!

-- laser works just fine
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-08-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

It's coming up on it's 12th birthday next month!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I thought I'd lost the 14 year old Synrad in the GCC yesterday, Cermarked one of my big ski lift panels, and the last to engrave, four 1/2" high words, washed off. All else okay.

So I re-engraved. It washed off...

So I re-scrubbed with alky and scrubbing bubbles, and tried EnduraMark. It washed off.

uh oh...

I pulled and wiped the 3 mirrors, which I'd just cleaned the day before so they weren't too bad. I also gave the bottom of the lens a Qtip wipe. Then I upped the res from 500 to 600, lowered the speed from 15 to 12, went back to Cermark-

-It washed off...

Told the wife I thought the tube might need to go in for a refurbish. Went back into the garage, and --finally-- removed the lens...

-- and on top of the lens was some goo that used to be a fly or earwig or ant or some other bug (which are out in full force right now)...

This is my 3rd 'bug incident' with lasers, you'd think I'd learn to pull the lens FIRST by now!

-- laser works just fine

my 900 is 14 years old, getting too old to keep track of it all!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

The answer that came back on the Ceramic core is they are sealed and don't get regassed. Failures are electronic if I read the post correctly. Just thought I'd update it here for the record.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That is my understanding as well. It might be worth a call to PhotoVac or Evergreen to see if they have any info.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's not too bad, is it, Keith? What's that, 8-9 years old now?
    My invoice was issued on 1-19-2012 so my laser is about six and a half years old.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-09-2018 at 9:15 AM.

Does anyone know if Trotec is now using only ceramic tubes in their Speedy 300-400 series? If performance is the same, it would be nice to be able to buy a Speedy with a laser that could be recharged (still dreaming of the big laser upgrade!).
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I would second the recommendation for Evergreen Laser. I would at least call them and ask if they can take a look at it. The only downside is that your'e going to have to wait for the repair vs. immediate replacement through Trotec but if you can save a couple thousand it may be worth it. Here's a link to my experience with them.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ight=evergreen
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

In furtherance of Mr Shepherds statement. This from an insider “ Ceramic core tubes don’t get re-gassed.
    They are completely sealed. If a fault occurs it’s would normally be an electronic failure in the RF exciting circuitry.“
    355 - 10400 : )

So progress, RF metal tubes last say 10 years and cost $2,000 to regas or Ceramic core tubes that last 10 years and cost $4500 to replace?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So progress, RF metal tubes last say 10 years and cost $2,000 to regas or Ceramic core tubes that last 10 years and cost $4500 to replace?
    I believe the two gentlemen mention 4 and 6.5 years on their ceramic tubes.