Thread: Yard sale find...

Yard sale find...

They wanted $10 for this item....got it for $5.

Photos working YET?

Anyway... Disston 26" long, stamped as a 10ppi crosscut. Skew back. Covertop handle. Highly carved, 5 brass bolts. DISSTON PHILA on the medallion, with two 5 point stars.

Keystone etch....has the box with "1840" at the top. Has the French and Spanish letters for "Trade mark" underneath the keystone. The usual lettering and Henry's signature beside the etch

A VERY VERY faint etch can barely be seen, between Henry's writing, and the handle.

Blade is straight, no bends, nor kinks. Handle was two small scratches, no cracks, nor breaks. Finish is flaking off of the handle. Both "horns" are intact.

Disston Institute site seems to think this is either a 1918 D-100....or a Victory saw...
    IMG_4931 (640x480).jpgIMG_4930 (640x480).jpg
    IF the pictures even show up....lately, I am not too sure...
    Working on getting the etch to stand out better..
    IMG_4932 (640x480).jpg
    Might be worth the $5?

Been getting a little of the etch right in front of the handle to show up.....Gun Blue Paste and than sand it after the paste is dry... Yep...there IS an etch....with the "V". Lots of "banners" filled with words going across/around....

May clean this saw up, and refinish the handle....most of the "finish" has flaked away, anyway..

Blog Entries
    I would clean the saw up, make a new curly maple handle and file new teeth. I have saws that I did that to.

One is a D12. It has a new life that will outlive me.

Steven,

Agreed, the handle looks pretty good, I would refinish it. You do a great job restoring stuff to excellent users. Hope you post a photo of the restored etch.

Looks like it may turn out to be a great user.

I have a keystone I want to restore too. Not as vintage as yours, and in better shape, but the etch on mine also needs help. I like the handle on your saw better than the handle on mine. Older is better.

Mine is a 26" 10 pt, but doesn't have great depth, may trim it down to a 22" panel saw.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-08-2018 at 3:06 PM.

Need to clean the bench off, before I can work on the saw.

I lightly sand the surface, wipe it off, then apply that Gun Blue Paste and let that dry.....then lightly sand again.....etch is below the surface, and should stay "blued"....We'll see

Handle will get cleaned up....maybe just a coat of shellac. Brass gets polished up......not sure IF I can see the teeth well enough to sharpen a 10ppi set....will see how it cuts when done.

That "$20" saw? looked like someone was trying to make a halfback saw out of a full sized saw.....handle had splits, hardware was beat up...one hole was wallered out. They had cut part of the plate at an angle...trying to get it to "Look like" a 1/2 back saw....passed.

Lowell,

My memory may be lying to me, but I think you have posted photos of a saw or two you have made such handles for. If I remember correctly they were very nicely done.

For me, however, I usually try to refinish (and sometimes have to piece in chipped spots and chisel/sand down) and save the original handle. I don't buy one that the handle is too far gone.

I have one that I will have to try your approach on, however, as it was one of my Grandfathers saws.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-08-2018 at 4:04 PM.

Waiting on the amber shellac to finish drying....plate has been cleaned and polished....."extra" etch was just a series of scratches....bummer. Non-show side was a bit pitted...must have laid in water for a while..

Brass has been shined up. Old finish removed....hence the shellac.

Normal spot on the heel is stamped as a 10.....when I took the handle off....found a "9" under it....

Will try to get a better picture of the etch that did come up.....

What was the difference between a D-112 and a D-100......have the D-112.....handle looks close to the D-100?

Stay tuned...

Can't quite get the etch to show up on this camera....
    IMG_4969 (640x480).jpg
    There is a HUGE "D" in the keystone.....about the size needed to hold 100 inside it...

show side.
    .IMG_4966 (640x480).jpg
    Handle close up..
    IMG_4967 (640x450).jpg
    And..what little I could do with the non-show side...
    IMG_4965 (640x480).jpg
    The D-112 and the D-100 side by side..
    IMG_4971 (640x480).jpg
    The only difference I could find..was the etch....the d-112 had a boxier style etch..
    IMG_4972 (640x480).jpg
    Both are 10 ppi crosscut....been using the D-112 a lot, lately...may need a label, to tell these two apart....?

Fwiw

d100.jpg

Every time I try to sneak into Steve's shop to steal his goodies, his attack cats catch me and I have to sneak back out.

Oh hell, Steve would give me the shirt off his back if I needed it, and, I think, even if I did not... And I always learn something when i wander out there.

You are doing a great job with the saws Steve. They are looking nice.

Since the D-100 was just a fancy D-8...how about a Family Photo?
    IMG_4973 (640x480).jpg
    D-8 Panel saw, 10ppi/D-8 ( hard to put the 8 inside the D) 26", 8ppi (also have a 10ppi D-8 in the til) then there is that D-112, 26", 10ppi and then the D-100, 26" , 10ppi. Each cut their own kerf to sit in, BTW.
    IMG_4974 (640x480).jpg
    Better view...as for the two D-8s..
    IMG_4975 (640x480).jpg
    Both have readable etches....with the 8 inside of the D.

All are now back in the til.....Shop Cat has moved on..to become the local Alley Cat....