Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Sadly, they are screwing the sellers that are willing to sell on Amazon in the process.
    My daughter looked at selling through Amazon ans learned that if a seller ends the deal they don't get the stock back as Amazon simply destroys it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I had a similar experience with a warehouse deals sawstop. At least, half the experience was similar. The saw arrived sans the table, fails and fence. Sawstop quoted me like $900 for the parts, but Amazon told me to take it or leave it. Either return the saw for a refund for keep it as is. No adjustments, period. They wouldn't even try to find the other half of the saw.

I ended up keeping it because the discount was substantial enough and I already had the parts lying around. Just had to buy a new fence. Behold the frankensaw:

I didn't make a table for it because I was waiting on the overhead dust collection do-dad. I'm actually making it now...

Oh, yeah, and my favorite part of my experience was where Amazon denied that they EVER adjusted anything when warehouse deals failed to deliver. They told me people who said otherwise were spreading misinformation. So please stop spreading misinformation. Hah.

I'm a pretty good customer (~200 orders a year...) but also a bargain hunter, and I don't hesitate to return stuff; so it's possible their response was tailored to me as someone they're probably not making much money off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Smith Sr View Post
    T So that leads me to think that someone on the transportation side ended up with a nice saw that just so happened to disappear along the way. Unfortunately there are some dishonest folks out there!
    When I read your OP, this is exactly where my mind went...they actually knew that the product was, um..."misplaced"...and therefore, made right by you in a very generous way, probably because it was an unique item they only had in a quantity of one. Someone there was in a very good mood that day and supported you very nicely!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Amazon can be weird about their returns policy sometimes.

Last year, I built 9 computer systems for a local business, and I ordered some of the parts from Amazon, including the memory. I had two separate orders (due to order quantity limits), one of 5 pieces and one of 4. After I received the parts I learned that the memory was not compatible with my chosen system, and had to order different memory. Amazon didn't have the correct modules so I ended up ordering them from another reseller.

I was able to return the first 5 modules for a refund with no issues. However, when I tried to process a return on the other 4 modules it was denied. The email referred to something in the product description about "returns not allowed", but there was nothing in the actual product notes that said that returns were not allowed. So, I emailed customer service to try and get a return. Not only did he authorize the return and credit me for the full purchase price, but he told me not to return the 4 modules. So, I ended up with 4 free memory modules. Due to the state of the current memory market I recently sold one on eBay for about 50% more than I paid originally.

These modules were "Sold and shipped by Amazon.com" so there was no third party involved. I'm really surprised they didn't want them back, but I guess the value of these is insignificant to a company as big as Amazon. I'm not complaining though - now I've got more money to buy lumber and tools with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Behold the frankensaw:
    I built a riding mower from two non-running John Deere models my neighbors were throwing out.

Engine from one and tranny from the other. The rest of the parts mixed and matched as needed.

I ordered a big Frankenstein decal on eBay for the hood and commissioned it "Franken-Mower".

Nice job on the saw!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    My daughter looked at selling through Amazon ans learned that if a seller ends the deal they don't get the stock back as Amazon simply destroys it.
    Amazon doesn't quite destroy everything. They just load them in bulk pallets and sell them at auction. Lots of folks are making a living at combing through the Amazon return bins and posting the junk on eBay...

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Bummer Dave. Thanks for the tip about Walmart. My concern with them is their customer service in the store, has never impressed me. How is ir online?

Like any store, customer service depends on who is working.
    My local store is very bad on service at the registers. But at the order pick up counter, I have always had positive experience. Same girl has worked the counter for a year or two. She also shoppes for the in store items ordered on line.
    I like I can have my stuff shipped to store and not have it sitting on my front porch all day. Walmart is across the street from work so I'm in and out in 10min.
    Walmart for 90 days will refund your money if they lower the price. I ordered a bike rack for my car. Cost around $40. 4 or 6 weeks later it dropped to like $19. I sent an online chat message to Walmart.com and they refunded my money on the spot.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

So the saga continues....I was expecting the saw to be delivered last Wednesday. I’ve been out of the country so I was texting the family to see about the shipment. No luck, Wednesday comes and goes and no saw. My wife calls Amazon and talks with someone who is no help at all. Calls the next day, and the service rep takes another $250 off. That brings it down a total of $1024 off the original purchase price, which is a great deal. But only if I actually end up with the saw (as Marshall originally stated). For some reason they have still not confirmed a new date. Getting worried, not to mention this has been going on since the last week of May. I’ll let you know how this turns out!

Please do let us know. Especially if it progresses to the point that Amazon is giving you money to take the saw off their hands.

Well it finally happened, I got my saw back on Aug 22. About 3 months after the original order was placed. I'd like to say it went fine since my last post, but that wouldn't be the truth. We talked to many different reps, escalating it as high as we could. Even sent an email to "Jeff". Eventually his executive team reached out to me but it was probably a day too late. A very nice woman was already able to cancel the order and place it with a 3rd party seller. All said and done I got the saw for about $1800 and also got a DeWalt router and 4 Bessey clamps for my troubles. Not a pleasant experience, but a great deal on a great saw. Loving this thing, cuts like butter!

Blog Entries
    Glad it all finally got settled. Enjoy the tools.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Smith Sr View Post
    Not a pleasant experience, but a great deal on a great saw. Loving this thing, cuts like butter!
    At least not a bad ending overall.

For machinery, I will only get it from a local vendor that has a physical presence. I have bought hundreds of things online, but won't try my luck with any stationary tools, no matter how much a deal it is. Simply too many things that can go wrong.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    For machinery, I will only get it from a local vendor that has a physical presence. I have bought hundreds of things online, but won't try my luck with any stationary tools, no matter how much a deal it is. Simply too many things that can go wrong.
    I've always liked this idea, but it's become nearly impossible for a large percentage of folks to actually accomplish with so few brick-and-morter machinery retailers still in existence in most areas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've always liked this idea, but it's become nearly impossible for a large percentage of folks to actually accomplish with so few brick-and-morter machinery retailers still in existence in most areas.
    Those folks have little options, and the only recourse is to do business with an online merchant that is known to be reliable and pay a premium for such exemplary service. Several small Festool merchants have carved out a market for themselves based on that strategy. Yo constantly see praises from their customers, about them going the extra mile.

If I were in a situation where I had to spend a grand or two between Amazon and such a merchant, I would be more than willing to pay, say $50 more, for the peace of mind. Amateur woodworking is to bring fun and joy to my life. I wouldn't torture myself just to save a $100 here or $50 there, if the consequence of something going astray was detrimental to my woodworking health. Over all these years, I have never regretted paying a little more for the service or quality I enjoyed.

Simon