Thread: Pierced Angel

Pierced Angel

Still playing with the Angel ornaments. Got carried away on this one. It's not fun piercing with a Dremel but it can be done. The problem with the slow speed grinders (26,000 rpm) is that the bit wants to follow the grain so you have to take it very slow and really grip the tool. After a while you kind of learn where it's likely to grab and you can lighten up the cut in the non grabby directions. all in all its a lot more fun and easy with a really high speed grinder (400,000 rpm) but it's just not in my budget.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautifully done John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's beautiful! I like the Cross on the body best.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lots of tedious work. An interesting concept ,with the modern simplicity allowing allusion to the two thieves ,wine,a chalice
    ,an angel, and Easter eggs. Lots of light and shadow,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    allowing allusion to the two thieves
    Ahhh. I missed that. Thanks Mel - I get it now.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

John, I liked this when I saw it on the other forum, but didn't mention one thing - your choice of lighting here struck me as stunning. The red light adds another dimension, both artistically and allegorically.

Very pretty, John. I have an NSK air grinder that I use in my hand engraving work for background removal. Would that work for piercing too? My dentist has provided me with hundreds of free dental burs, so I guess I can experiment.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Beautiful piece John a lot of thought obviously went into it. Very well done!!

Mark I guess it depends on which NSK. If it's the High speed 400,000 rpm then it will work great. The slower speed air grinders that run at 50,000 will work but the work needs to be about 1 mm thick. With the Dremel which is 26,000 you can get away with 2mm thick but it's slow going. My angel varied from 1.8 to 1.3 and you could really tell when you got to the thick areas.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Mark I guess it depends on which NSK. If it's the High speed 400,000 rpm then it will work great. The slower speed air grinders that run at 50,000 will work but the work needs to be about 1 mm thick. With the Dremel which is 26,000 you can get away with 2mm thick but it's slow going. My angel varied from 1.8 to 1.3 and you could really tell when you got to the thick areas.
    It's a 300K rpm model sold by GRS Tools about 10 years ago for engraving removal. When it's going you can't hear anything from it and it has zero runout, so it's easy to accidentally touch a spinning bur. Don't ask how I know.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.