Thread: Glueing Dilema

Glueing Dilema

I have a finished walnut end grain cutting board. Multiple coats of mineral oil and top coated with beeswax/mineral oil.

I’ve created a maple end grain blank.

I want to vcarve some some letters into the finished walnut board and glue a maple inlay into it.

Will the glue create the bond needed? I was planning on a 0.15” carve and a 0.1” deep inlay.

Thoughts, concerns, solutions?

I'm afraid the wood is saturated enough with mineral oil so the woods won’t bond using Titebond 3.

I think it will be a problem getting the glue to bond.
    The solution is to use your idea on the next one
    Mineral oil goes in pretty deep
    Aj

The other option is use the board for 6-12 months until it dries out and then give it a try.

Yes, this is an issue and the inlay really needed to be added before you finished the cutting board. What Phil suggests might work, but you'll not be able to re-oil it at all and there may still be some residual mineral oil at a depth that still affects adhesion. Mineral oil, because it isn't a drying oil, tends to penetrate much farther than drying oils do as Andrew mentions.

My suggestion would be to leave the completed board as-is and construct a new one to do your v-carved inlay.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. The board was finished almost a year ago but I’m afraid that the oil penetrated pretty deep.

Might using epoxy work?

Due to time constraints I can’t put a new one together for her.

You might try mixing up a poultice of corn starch and mineral spirits. Make it about the consistency of bread dough.
    Place that on the area where you want the inlay & see if it helps pull the oil out.

Epoxy is liable to react with the oil & turn it into a non-drying goo.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Froh View Post

Due to time constraints I can’t put a new one together for her.
    Do the inlay now as a temp. piece to buy time, and then cut a new one as Jim suggested?

Simon

Well I have it a shot and it worked ok. A few corners where depth was tiny there is some chip out.

D5706270-33C7-4D49-B5F7-481801F8CCEC.jpgCD5AB5A5-7E6B-4119-9CE3-1819935C5418.jpg