Thread: Where to put my vise

Where to put my vise

I have my 32x60 workbench almost complete, and I'm trying to decide where to put my Eclipse 7" vise on the end or front. I will probably be using the bench for assembly, glue-ups, finish work, hand power tools and some light hand tool work. I plan on adding dog holes, and have easy access to both the end and front of the bench.

Thoughts?

right or left handed?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    right or left handed?
    Bill D
    Right handed, and I can put the vise on the left or right side, or right or left side of the front.

On my bench, I put a vise on the side, and also put one on the end. Find I use the end vise more, course I am a power tool guy, not a neander.

Blog Entries
    My front vise gets more use than my end vise. I am right handed and so place the front vice at the left. I would want a wooden jaw which is an easy retrofit. I also buried the rear jaw of my metal vises on my previous bench and would do the same again if I added one.

Here is a couple of shots of the rear jaw mortised in.

7 Vise shot.jpg . Vise-003.jpg

The front jaw in this case is beech and is secured to the metal jaw with screws through holes that were present for this use.

Vise 002.jpg . 1-5 yrs 001-sm.jpg

A bit of leather on the front jaw greatly improves your grip and keeps you from having to crush things to get then to hold still.

CoD Mortise Pal 3.jpg

For long stock holding having just a front vise and a clamp can work pretty well.

deadman.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn for the input and including the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My front vise gets more use than my end vise.
    Why do you think that is?

I am right handed and so place the front vice at the left.
    I've heard a couple of people say that, but I don't understand why.

The front jaw in this case is beech and is secured to the metal jaw with screws through holes that were present for this use.

Vise 002.jpg . 1-5 yrs 001-sm.jpg
    I really like that you added the dog holes to beech in the front jaw. I wouldn't have thought of that. How thick is the beech and what's the spacing between holes?

Thanks again Glenn.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    On my bench, I put a vise on the side, and also put one on the end. Find I use the end vise more, course I am a power tool guy, not a neander.
    Jim, Why do you find yourself using the end vise more than the side one?

Think it is just the size of the vise. Can clamp a good size panel and do whatever I want with it. I do have dog holes, and when I built the bench was planning to use the end vise to hold panels for sanding with belt sander, but after while got a wide belt sander, which gives much better results.

Blog Entries
    I would put the vise you have now on the right end of the bench. The reason I would do that is I like leg vises on the front of the bench. Leg vises, especially leg vises equiped with a: x scissor, chain devise, or Hovarter hardware are fast and make it easier to clamp a larger array of work. My second choice for a front vise would be the Veritas Quick Release vise. I think the OPs existing vise makes a better end vise.

You might read Derek Cohen’s bench build on his web page. I believe Derek uses his end vise more than his front vise recently.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-08-2018 at 6:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Randall View Post
    Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    My front vise gets more use than my end vise.

Why do you think that is?
    If I stand at the end of the bench, much of it is too deep to do me any good. If I stand at the front I have lots of left-to-right room and at 30" deep, everything stays within reach.

Originally Posted by glenn bradleyI am right handed and so place the front vice at the left.

I've heard a couple of people say that, but I don't understand why.
    It is a matter of how many of us work. Motions from right to left toward a held or fixed piece of material seems natural, like swinging a baseball bat or an ax; right to left, right to left. There is no rule but, many woodworkers who mention vise position fall to this location.

I really like that you added the dog holes to beech in the front jaw. I wouldn't have thought of that. How thick is the beech and what's the spacing between holes?
    On the bench pictured in the previous post the jaw is about 2-1/4" thick to allow adequate support for the 3/4" dog holes. The dogs are on 6" centers. On my current bench I have twin screw vises with no quick-release. I still have the dogs 6" on center left-to-right but, on 3-1/2" centers front-to-back at the front vise for quicker position adjustment.

6" centers both ways at the tail position where I normally hold large pieces of material.

TNNW (74).jpg

If your vise is not QR you may want to make a couple of these.

Vario-dog-tip.JPG

Vari-o-dog (8).jpg . Vari-o-dog (7).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler