Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just did the unthinkable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just did the unthinkable.

Tool junkie heresy.

I am getting ready to add a new garage for my old cars, and I have been storing too many tools. Today, I hauled a perfectly good 12" Rockwell single phase 110/220 turret RAS to Goodwill. I just didn't want to fool with selling it.

I sure picked a lousy day to do it. 110* right now, but humidity is only 16%.

I paid $300 for it about three years ago, and was considering spiffing it up to replace my DeWalt 7790, but decided against it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I didn’t know they take tools. I brought a old compressor to the recycling center last week I think I got about two dollars for it. My phone says 115 here in Claremont poor tomato plants look like they are dying
    Aj

I've also sent salable tools to HfH.....you did a good thing....don't fuss over it. It's out of your life and someone will benefit from it. Good Karma all around.

I've donated quite a few usable tools to habitat for humanity restore. They are also happy to take things like excess plumbing fittings and electrical devices, etc. I feel like they will be put to good use or sold to benefit a cause I support, and it's definitely way less hassle than selling them on craig's list.

And you can write it off as a tax deduction.

110 and 115!! I do not miss that heat gentleman.
    I graduated from Ganesha High School, where I ran track and cross country. Hot days like that, always found us at MT. SAC running the switchbacks and buzzard's peak during cross country season, and the stadium seats during track season.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    110 and 115!! I do not miss that heat gentleman.
    I graduated from Ganesha High School, where I ran track and cross country. Hot days like that, always found us at MT. SAC running the switchbacks and buzzard's peak during cross country season, and the stadium seats during track season.
    Someday im going to leave this town. Ganesha is still there right by the Fairplex how long have you been gone. Do you ever crave In&out burger
    It’s 10:50am & 106 yesterday evening my turtle and the blue jays were begging for water.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-07-2018 at 2:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    And you can write it off as a tax deduction.
    That's become a bit harder to attain now with the changes in the US tax laws, but donating to a good cause is still a great way to off-load something and provide a benefit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also thought this was a perfect fit for the Habitat ReStore, so I went there first. Went around back where they take in the big stuff and waited. Yelled hello about six times including twice when two different people walked by the open door. Honked the horn and waited. Yelled goodby, and went to the front cashier, where I told her they just missed out on an easy $100-150. She couldn't have cared less, just looked at me.

Yes, I was being very polite. I half expected her to say she would get someone, but no response at all.

This was the second time in a row I have been there with GOOD stuff, and they didn't want it. They have some idea of 'gentrifying' the place. Hardly have any used cabinet takeouts anymore, mostly loads of misc manufacturing over runs, and a whole furniture showroom.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I also thought this was a perfect fit for the Habitat ReStore, so I went there first. Went around back where they take in the big stuff and waited. Yelled hello about six times including twice when two different people walked by the open door. Honked the horn and waited. Yelled goodby, and went to the front cashier, where I told her they just missed out on an easy $100-150. She couldn't have cared less, just looked at me.

Yes, I was being very polite. I half expected her to say she would get someone, but no response at all.

This was the second time in a row I have been there with GOOD stuff, and they didn't want it. They have some idea of 'gentrifying' the place. Hardly have any used cabinet takeouts anymore, mostly loads of misc manufacturing over runs, and a whole furniture showroom.
    A few years ago when my dad passed away we were trying to give away all the furniture in his apartment. Called the Restore and Goodwill and various used furniture stores and got no interest or no reply at all. Ended up putting a sign up in the apartment lobby saying free furniture in apt. 102 on Saturday and got rid of it all....

From time to time, I load my 6x10 trailer with unwanted miscellaneous stuff. Park in driveway with sign "anything in trailer FREE". By end of day, I'm amazed what gets taken, some of it would be dumpster filler. I've often thought that it's more about being free than if it has any real value. A few times I've voyeuristically watched from house...that can be entertaining. Perhaps I read into it, but I swear some folks look as if they've just pulled off a heist!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rawlings View Post
    From time to time, I load my 6x10 trailer with unwanted miscellaneous stuff. Park in driveway with sign "anything in trailer FREE". By end of day, I'm amazed what gets taken, some of it would be dumpster filler. I've often thought that it's more about being free than if it has any real value. A few times I've voyeuristically watched from house...that can be entertaining. Perhaps I read into it, but I swear some folks look as if they've just pulled off a heist!
    Wait till they take the trailer. A friend of mine had an 18' gooseneck flatbed farm trailer taken from his field behind the barn in daylight while he was out for a few hours.

JKJ

Must've been the week for it. I took an early DeWalt RAS to the Restore yesterday for same reasons. It's been at least 2 years since I turned it on. At one point I thought I'd do a total rebuild, but with a bigger CNC on the way, I just wanted the real estate back. I suspect nostalgia made me keep it for as long as I did...maybe 25 years.

It Had a few of the "does everything" attachments. Hope it goes to someone who recognizes what it is, but I just won't let myself worry about it. They have their advocates, but I can't be one anymore.

Great idea! I've been wondering how to get some unneeded tools to someone who might use them. Don't want to fool with Craigslist.

Your bad experience with the Habitat is discouraging. Fortunately, they are not all like that. Everything depends on the people.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Tool junkie heresy.

I am getting ready to add a new garage for my old cars, and I have been storing too many tools. Today, I hauled a perfectly good 12" Rockwell single phase 110/220 turret RAS to Goodwill. I just didn't want to fool with selling it.

I sure picked a lousy day to do it. 110* right now, but humidity is only 16%.

I paid $300 for it about three years ago, and was considering spiffing it up to replace my DeWalt 7790, but decided against it.

Both the HfH ReStores I go to are pretty adamant about calling first before bringing in donations as not all the volunteers working there are authorized to accept things.