Thread: enduro-var over oil stain

enduro-var over oil stain

I was about to spray Enduro-Var over some Minwax stain, when I read the disclaimer on GF website about not recommending use over anything not water based. Curses. Has anyone used this combination successfully? My test piece looks fine, but of course I'm worried about long-term issues. The workpiece is already stained so I can't start over. Yes I did a Search but did not turn up a similar situation. TIA

The simple solution is to spray a thin barrier coat of de-waxed shellac to insure adhesion of your water borne finish over the oil based stain. It's kinda a "universal adapter", if you will. The Minwax stuff really can be wonky under water borne from my personal experience. I think that might be because of how the binder does or doesn't cure evenly or assuredly unless you wait a very long time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

GF's literature can be confusing. Here's what they say about EnduroVar under "How to Apply":

General Finishes Enduro-Var
    is an oil-modified water-based topcoat and ONLY ADHERES WELL OVER WATER-BASED STAINS, DYES AND RAW WOOD. It will adhere over an oil-based stain ONLY IF the stain is completely dry (minimum 4 days dry time). Use Enduro-Var over any other surfaces at your own risk.

I've sprayed Enduro-Var directly over some OB stains (after 72 hours), but normally I do as Jim recommended and spray a light coat of Sealcoat shellac first. I've never had a problems with Enduro-Var, either way.

As a side note, I can tell you to never put EnduroVar over GF's PreCat Lacquer. Scrapes off with your finger nail.

John

I don't know when EnduroVar became an oil-modified product. Never was and the MSDS (back when they were required to make one available) doesn't show any oils in it. It is an incredibly good topcoat, however, whatever the formulation.
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 07-06-2018 at 5:47 PM.

Thanks Jim & John. I have two options: use a shellac seal coat or wait 4+ days extra. I must admit that the capital letter warning on GF site was what I saw, but failed to catch the significance of the rest of the caveat regarding oil stains