Thread: Planer Upgrade Consideration

Planer Upgrade Consideration

I am looking for an upgrade to my Dewalt DW734. It does a fine job on smaller stuff, but it seems that if I'm working with larger pieces (e.g., 8/4 oak or walnut) in lengths greater than 4', it really has a tough time. Even when taking the slightest of material, sometimes I still have to assist the material through the planer. I am thinking of upgrading to a free standing model - something like the Grizzly G1037Z or the G0453. My main question with upgrading to something in this class is - will they provide more power, therefore making the job easier and more pleasant? What are some good planers in this price rage: ~1000.00 - 1300.00?

I very recently upgraded from a Delta 22-580 lunchbox to a Grizzly G0453 with aftermarket Byrd Shelix. The difference over the portable planer is amazing. The noise reduction is real and it is fabulous. You won’t get that level of noise reduction with the straight knives on the G0453 though. I know it’s more but hang on for the spiral cutterhead. It also eliminates having to set knives which is a huge advantage to anyone who hasn’t done much of that kind of work.

The biggest advantage to larger planer over portable is the depth of cut. You can take up to an 1/8” off at one time on narrower boards but even a full 1/16” is such a dramatic improvement over the little screamer.

yes, more hsp is a great thing, but just for kicks, have you waxed the planer bed, and cleaned the rollers? my Dewalt 735 seems to need assistance too, until I slap myself upside the head and stop, and clean the planer.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I would never discourage you from upgrading your shop, but in my experience the DW734 should be able to handle more than you are able to get it to do- I've fed my workbench top slabs (3.5" x 12" by 7'), which weigh more than the planer, through mine.

At one point though I was having trouble feeding even small pieces through. Turns out the rubber feed rollers had gotten so caked up that they had become too slick to feed the wood consistently. Cleaning them up with rubbing alcohol made a big improvement. The blades may also need to be cleaned or changed.

I usually take 1/32" passes unless the workpiece is very narrow. A bigger machine should be able to take more off with each pass, so that would be one advantage.

Yeah, something is off with your setup if it cant feed moderate size boards. The first troubleshooting step for ALL planers is to wax the beds. From a dw734 all the way up to a SCMI l'invincible.

Depending how you work, the upgrade could be great, or slightly disappointing. I had a 735 for a couple years as my first planer. For the price, the machine is really incredible. Finish quality is good, 13" capacity handled a fair amount of what i wanted to do. However, it was slow(10s of passes), and i ultimately felt like i was beating it into an early grave with the work i was doing. It's capacity also meant i used my 37" drum sander more and more. I then upgraded to a 20" powermatic with a byrd head, and it resolved the capacity and time spent planing issues, but i cant say it did much for me as far as surface finish or accuracy of the dimension. These last two arent digs at the PM, more so praise for the quality the 735 puts out. Without a doubt, id say the dewalt gave me a better surface finish than the byrd. With all that said, i dont have to worry about the pm tipping over(happened all the time with long boards on the dewalt), or the longevity of the machine. Its also nice to take a heavy cut and be done in a pass or two versus a dozen. Finally, id take 30" of capacity if i had the shop space and room in my subpanel. If you dont mill a lot of lumber for projects, say, you make a lot of smaller/medium projects, then i actually think a lunchbox planer is a good fit for you. If you do a lot of larger projects and process hundreds or thousands of board feet a year, then i think its worth upgrading to a standard four poster floor standing model.

I bought a used DW 734 planer that was like new. I planed the tops of my work bench that were 11 7/8" wide by 3 1/2" thick by 80" long with no problems.
    I set up supports at each end and waxed the infeed and outfeed tables. It does give a very good finish as compared to conventional planers as previously stated.
    General maintenance is to keep the rubber rollers clean as stated and sharp knives.

Blog Entries
    Your problem description call for cleaning and waxing the beds. If you want to upgrade I can share my experience moving from a DW734 to a typical 15" floor model.

Lunchbox planers are 'finish'planers and target a different job area than many floor model planers. My machine has serrated infeed and outfeed rollers that are primarily for rough milling of larger lumber. By backing the feed roller pressure off as much as possible I get a great finish on harder woods like maple and only slight serration marks on softer things like mahogany.

This works for me since any board coming off a machine that is a 'show' part is going to get enough additional handling and surface preparation that the marks are long gone. If you are used to taking boards right off a machine and assembling them, you may need to adjust your approach a bit.

Either machine will perform sub-optimally if you simply feed the material into it and wait or it to fall out the other end. I see a lot of really fine furniture makers do this and then simply lop off the leading and tailing few inches of the blank as a matter of course. I prefer to control the stock at entry and at exit to get more usable stock. I may also do this just so I don't have to deal with all that scrap but. I digress

My G0453Z has a grip like an alligator even with the feed roller tension backed way off. I like the dual speeds and it has never seemed to lack for power even with wide oak or pecan material. You have to keep the bed and tables waxed just like with any other machine that one slides material across/through. The practical difference, the "feel" from an operator's point of view if you will, is similar to running a small contractor saw versus a heavier and more powerful cabinet saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You'll be amazed at the improvement if you upgrade to something like the early Delta 13" machine, with which I get zero snipe.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    yes, more hsp is a great thing, but just for kicks, have you waxed the planer bed, and cleaned the rollers? my Dewalt 735 seems to need assistance too, until I slap myself upside the head and stop, and clean the planer.
    Pretty much what went through my mind when I read it--verbatim!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I am looking for an upgrade to my Dewalt DW734.

[...]

will they provide more power, therefore making the job easier and more pleasant?
    Yes, those massive planners can make life easier and eventually more pleasant to work in your projects. One of the biggest difference is the heavy duty feel and lower level of noise as lunchbox planners are close to jet turbine for its level of noise.

But small planners can be very convenient for hobbyists not using them so frequently and if you learn to cope with them, they can be very capable and IMHO the best option when you have limited budget and available space...

Besides some very useful information from previous answers I would go for simple additional input and output wood table. It is quite easy to make them mainly if you use the planner directly on floor as I use my Makita. You can handle really big and heavy stuff with that simple mounting.

Good luck in your choice.

All the best,

Patrick and Glenn put it very well, in terms of why it might or might not be a good upgrade for your work.

I did exactly the upgrade you are considering because I was tired of the endless small passes and the planer's instability when working on long boards (even with bolting it down and using infeed/outfeed rollers). I went with the Grizzly 453 with the spiral cutterhead and feel that the upgrade was an outstanding decision, one of the best decisions I have made regarding shop machinery. It's a great machine, worked flawlessly out of the box after the usual setup tweaks, and it has made my stock prep much easier, faster, and more pleasant. In retrospect, a no brainer that I should have done much sooner. Hope this helps.

Ken

I took the suggestions here and waxed the bed, switched out the blades and cleaned everything up. What a difference it made. I haven't tried feeding any long boards through it, but I can definitely tell a difference... I think it is probably running the best it ever has. I guess that makes sense because I have never waxed the bed before. Thanks, everyone. You all saved me a good chunk of change.