Thread: Jointer problem or no?

Jointer problem or no?

Hey guys im looking at this jointer, it has chipping on the infeed table, but can't figure out if this will defect from full functionality. Where i see it maybe being a problem is pushing down on the in feed and having a corner or edge fall into this divit and get snipe? If you were to put a cupped board in rainbow up could a corner fall in? i guess what it's got going is it's in the middle so you can always move the fence in and spilt it?

Here's a photo I'm getting it for a great deal (this and the motor is burned up) i got a couple laying around to drop it in.

jet 3.jpgjet 2.jpgjet 1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew Reber; 07-06-2018 at 2:15 AM.

I would tread pretty lightly with that machine, it had to have thrown a knife for that to happen. Careful inspection of the head and gibs is warranted.

The chip is not a big deal. Check overall condition eg parallel, general slide way condition etc. Also, check how the knives are retained. They should be in a dovetail. The only time I have seen a chip like this, the knives were pinch clamped which is not inherently secure. Cheers

No problem. Some jointers have the end of the tables like a comb. supposed to be quieter? you can always make it flush with jb weld and a cabinet scraper if it is too wide a divot for your work.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Since the chip is on the in feed table and if you are jointing correctly, the down pressure should be on the out feed table by the time you get to the end of a board, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would check out the cutters and cutter head to insure nothing else was damaged when that chip was created.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Like others, I feel that damage is purely cosmetic. It will not cause snipe, that happens for a different reason. My concern would be "what happened?" and I doubt you will get an answer that you will feel comfortable with. I would just make an extra careful inspection of the cutter head to see that nothing besides the lip was damaged when whatever happened, happened.

Buying machines with "burned out" motors can be advantageous. Many "failed" motors just blew a started cap or have spoil impacted into them due to poor or not-replaced shields. A cap can be $20 to $30 bucks and away you go.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

With a chipped lip and no motor, a Jet jointer should be almost free. Dave