Thread: Where to get these. . .

Where to get these. . .

My local tavern would like to replace these pretend fence posts (What else might these be?) I could probably fashion something similar but wonder if anyone knows where this sort of thing might come from. They are about 16 inches high...probably 3/4 thick. They are stepped along the edge in 3 steps. They look to be fastened to a metal backing as well.
    Sorry pick is sideways. Baskets on the left are above the shapes. Whole thing under a front window.

_temp_rotation.jpg

Scott
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-06-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: rotated photo

Scott, I took the liberty to rotate the photo.

I've never see pieces made like that so I can help except to say if I wanted to make some I'd probably cut out the shapes on a bandsaw and use a router to create the edge profile, perhaps with several passes to get the desired shape.

JKJ

If I had a job like that, I'd be wishing I had a overhead pin router! Or maybe a cnc machine. Surely, this can be done with a table router or a shaper!

Just how many pieces are required?

Scott, depending on how thick and how wide they are, you might be able to significantly cut the work by shaping them out of a thicker piece of wood and slicing for the individual pieces.

They remind me of sawn balusters used on Victorian era porch railings....you might find something similar along those lines.

I must be missing something because it looks pretty simple to me. Make a template, trace the outline on the stock using the template, cut just outside the line on the bandsaw and then attach the template to the stock and use a pattern bit to cut the final shape followed by a roundover bit. What am I missing?

Not a round over profile. Three steps so a custom bit or two more bearings or bushings to create the steps.

Yeah, the edge is stepped - 3 steps I think so multiple patterns and steps to make them. I could do it but just wondered if anyone has seen these off the shelf somewhere.
    Scott

I see a two layer construction. The back piece is not profiled, while the front piece has a coved edge. You might find something if you Google "sawn baluster". These look to me to be individually hand cut, so I doubt you'll find much quite like it.

That would be a real easy piece to make on a CNC