Thread: Porter cable 552 (or castle tsm-12) pocket hole machine?

Blog Entries

Porter cable 552 (or castle tsm-12) pocket hole machine?

Any one with either the PC or Castle machine? I would prefer a tsm-21 but have the opportunity to pick up a 552 relatively inexpensively.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have one, or has anyone used one and if so any thoughts as to its usefulness in a small shop?

I have a PC552. The main drawback is it is limited to a bit more than 3/4" thickness. Otherwise it is a bit slower than the semi-auto TSM-21 without its complications. Put a downcut spiral carbide cutter in the main router for minimal tearout. It is a huge improvement over a manual Kreg jig.

I have a porter cable bench top model that is identical to the Castle machines. I sealed the base and added a 4" start collar so that I could attach it to the dust collector. Also modified the table so that I could get it off without removing the base.

I've had a PC Production Pocket Cutter for years and use it regularly. You can still get replacement cutters from Castle.

Pro's - Faster than any of my Kreg jigs and creates a lower angle pocket that's easier to screw without shifting alignment of the two pieces.

Con's - Loud, dusty, and can't fill the holes with plugs like Kreg (which I never do anyway).

I use it to churn out pocket holes in 3/4 material. It was designed for cabinet shops and works great for that purpose.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the information. I assumed the PC/ tsm12 would work on stock up to 1.5" like the tsm21.

My standard door/drawer and FF is 1 & 5/32" (1.155") thick. Only being able to use it on 3/4 doesn't do me much good.

It appears that the current TSM 12 has been modified to accept thicker material https://www.castleusa.com/products/b...ne-tsm-12.html. Having used both the manual and semi-auto machines I prefer the manual style. The TSM 21 is great for higher production but when it needs attention access to the guts is inconvenient. It is wise to keep extras on hand of the magnets that sense the router positions for cycle control.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The TSM 21 is great for higher production but when it needs attention access to the guts is inconvenient.
    Get a 22 then. The whole top flips up to access the routers.

I just sold two 21's and replaced them with 22's because the Porter Cable routers were getting tough to find.

That looks a lot easier to work on than the old design. Also a grand more. That's progress.

you are doing an upgraded face frame thickness? is there a reason for that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    you are doing an upgraded face frame thickness? is there a reason for that?
    Deeper profiles on doors/drawers (exterior door cope and stick cutters). Its just something to set my work apart. That and I like the deep recessed look myself

Hey Jared - Care so share a photo or two? Would love to see how they look.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Hey Jared - Care so share a photo or two? Would love to see how they look.
    Best picture I have on my phone showing the depth of profile.

20180709_151233.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 07-09-2018 at 3:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    And the PC pocket hole machine works on stock up to 1" without modification. Picked this one up today (and looked at a altendorf f45)
    20180709_144831.jpg