Thread: Sawtooth/birdsmouth shelf brackets

Sawtooth/birdsmouth shelf brackets

I’m planning to make a set of shelves for books and instruments in my studio. I’d like to use birdsmouth adjustable brackets to fit the style of the room.

They seem pretty straightforward to make. My question is about the danger of the brackets splitting off along the grain. Does that happen? Or is this pretty durable?

Thanks for any insight.
    Karl

Blog Entries
    Not being quite sure what a "birdsmouth adjustable bracket" is, a quick trip to Dr. Google revealed some good images of not only what these are, but a possible way to lessen any possibility of the brackets splitting off along the grain.

It consisted of having a piece under the shelf in the bracket below to in effect put the weight of the shelf on two brackets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does this quick sketch make sense? The trapezoidal support piece (in brown) can be shifted to a different set of notches to adjust the height of the shelf. That support seems to carry the whole weight of the shelf; all the examples I've seen have the shelf notched to fit around the brackets. Maybe I've got it wrong, though.
    Sawtooth.png

Nope, you've got it right - that trapezoidal piece is very important, otherwise it'd be nigh impossible to remove the shelf. Durability will depend on how wide you make the "birdsmouth", and out of what type of wood. I have a set of oak bookcases that have held up for going on 10 years with that type of bracket - birdsmouth is 3/4" wide, 1-1/2" tall, and the shelf span that sits on it is 3 feet between the rails (37-1/2" total), 10" wide front to back.

I have an older prewar bookcase like that. Very strong.

I have a pantry cabinet in my kitchen that is made tat way. The trays are even roll out. The metal drawer slides are the only thing that keeps them in place. You can take out the tray move the trapezoidal piece slide the tray back in. Used everyday holds lots of cans and bottles. Not even a small problem in 6 years.
    Jim

Thanks guys! I’ll get after it and post a photo when I’m done.