Thread: Opinions on Oil Hydraulic Impact Drivers?

Opinions on Oil Hydraulic Impact Drivers?

I need to upgrade my impact driver. I am tempted by the new oil hydraulic drivers, especially the Milwaukee Surge 18V brushless. Does anyone here own one or has anyone tried them?

Blog Entries
    I've read a number of reviews on the Ridgid & Milwaukee models. Apparently the biggest advantage is that they are much quieter. The Milwaukee hydraulic is not very powerful, compared to the standard drivers & is aimed at the installer crowd that work in occupied environments where noise is a concern.

Blog Entries
    Any reason you want the hydraulic over the standard? I have five different milwaukee impact models and have been happy with all but the original m12 brushed version.

Never heard of them. do they have hoses like the chainsaws?
    Bill D.

I have the Milwaukee version. Way quieter. and smooth. It is also every bit as powerful ,just finished a job driving 16'' GRK screws thru 12''x12'' cedar posts. I have two other MIlwaukkee M18 fuel impacts,both real good tools and after using the surge for a year I think it is a superior tool. Mike.

We also have a Milwaukee Surge. Not only is it quieter, but a smoother operation. It's also easier to sneak up on you finished screw depth, unlike a normal impact where the depth seems to be determined by the speed of your finger on the trigger.

Thanks Mike and James. That’s what the YouTube videos show. Oddly it seems Milkwaukee is discontinuing that one. I suspect an updated one soon. You can only buy the bare tool now and Home Depot is out of stock all around me even on the bare tool.