Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Filter for CNC with ATC

I put regulators at each drop and they come with water seperators. Also my blocks at the drop have drip legs ball valves.

If I use pneumatic tools or the mill or the plasma I can choose to run the powered refrigerated dryer. I have bypass valves around it too. Even if i just use blow guns to clean up stuff, and I am not running the dryer, I know the air has at least went though the after cooler 50' of copper before entering the maxline supply line.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I put regulators at each drop and they come with water seperators. Also my blocks at the drop have drip legs ball valves.

If I use pneumatic tools or the mill or the plasma I can choose to run the powered refrigerated dryer. I have bypass valves around it too. Even if i just use blow guns to clean up stuff, and I am not running the dryer, I know the air has at least went though the after cooler 50' of copper before entering the maxline supply line.
    So if your dryer is on, and your going to blow a bunch of stuff down, do you go shut the dryer off or open the bypass? We ran a filter/reg at the CNC only because we had existing steel lines in the building and they had sat open for years not being used and I know full well when they were used there was no concept of a dryer, aftercooler, or a $350 coalescing oil filter before the air ever hit the lines. When we setup the compressor and plumbed it into the existing lines we went to each drop and blew them all down several times with 175psi in the mains to try to get rid of any rust/scale/debris that may have been in the line. I didnt want to risk any future crud making it to the spindle so the filter on that drop made sense.

When I walk in in the morning the entire compressor leg is energized. Compressor, dryer, auto drain, and it stays on all day. I wouldnt see the sense in feeding wet air (even after its been through the aftercooler) into the mainline just to save running the dryer. I dont know what I'd be saving. A little electricity or added life to the dryer in trade for feeding wet air into my mains because that day I will be running nail guns or blow-down? Everything in the shop, including blowing down parts, benefits from clean dry air.