Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin T17

Martin T17

I have one of these,2-SAM_3869.JPG

that i have done this to;1-SAM_4183.JPG 3-SAM_4187.JPG

Is there anyone that has one and taken it apart or just has one that could maybe answer a couple of questions for me?

Hi Mark. There are lotsa guys here that restore old iron, so with luck you'll get some help. If not, there's another site folks often mention called "owwm" (old woodworking machinery?) that might help.

Best of luck,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Fred,
    I have most of it together, but there were a few small bits missing which i will make, it would be nice to have a photo of the originals, but not critical. The blade lock handle for instance.

Those interested should view Mark's work over at Canadianwoodworking. It is always outstanding. I would think the Joe Calhoon or Peter G would be among those with knowledge of the T17. Maybe they will chime in or contact you directly. I'll be interested in your comparison with your other sliders when done. Dave

I have a couple sitting in my shop Mark. I won't visit that Canadian place, but here or IG I can help.

I took one apart most of the way a few years back.
    I don’t know if I could help, very few pics, but maybe.
    Memory of this much time lapse is.......

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the kind words David,
    Darcy and Peter, so i have the machine stripped and repainted and am reassembling it, i will post a few photos and will have a few questions.

Darcy and Peter thanks for the offer to help;
    The scoring saw, had a bent saw shaft and a bent pivot shaft, i have straightened those and replaced the bearings and painted the cast parts.
    when i was reassembling, i noticed that the small pulley wheel had no key-way, in either the shaft or pulley, no screw, only a snap ring to keep it from coming off. The problem is that it is free to rotate on the shaft.
    It didn't make any sense so i drilled and tapped it so that it will not rotate.
    Anyone got a similar scoring saw and know how it was fitted, and what i am missing here?

01-SAM_5434.JPG02-SAM_5435.JPG11-SAM_5444.JPG1-SAM_5465.JPG3-SAM_5467.JPG2-SAM_5466.JPG

I have a manual with a parts breakdown for the t-17 and for a t75. Neither one of my t17s have a scoring arbor.
    I will look tomorrow.

One of the few things I can't find in any of my Martin literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    One of the few things I can't find in any of my Martin literature.
    No problem, Thanks. I drilled and tapped it and put a screw in it so its good.

I have made a pin wrench to remove the flange nut, and spindle lock handle to replace the missing one, I am going to cut the spindle-lock off to length and bend the end 90°, if you have the chance to toke a photo of yours it would be a good reference for me.

thanks.

1-SAM_5504.JPGSAM_4200.jpg

Darcy, Do you know the belt size for the two belts for the main spindle, my machine has two new belts, but they are a bit too long.
    Thanks

I will check. I know I have a factory pin spanner. I think it says belt length in manual, otherwise I will climb inside one and check belts.

I too had no scoring on my saw. No help on belts either, without finding my manual.....

Mark, I emailed you a T17 manual. My T75 did not have scoring either. From the manual it looks like a simple lever to lock the scoring blade. No info on belt length in the manual. They are sending me a parts list maybe it will have something.
    they had a belt for my T23 in stock in Charlotte.