Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to plane wood down to 1/16"?

Blog Entries

Question How to plane wood down to 1/16"?

I make a lot toys for my grandson. The current plan I have calls for both 1/8" and 1/16" thin wood panels. I have had some success with my planer reducing wood to 1/8" (about 25% has to be discarded, not a problem with the small quantities I use). I have never made any 1/16" wood and am sure my planer will not cut wood this thin. (My small bandsaw won't cut this either ). Any thoughts on how I might get the 1/16" wood I need?
    Dennis

possibly something like this?? http://ocoochhardwoods.com/hardwood_veneers.php also see some on ebay

Instead of planing down to 1/16, why not build up to it using a few sheets of veneer? Essentially you'd be making your own plywood, which might be stronger than 1/16 solid wood.

Blog Entries
    You could use a Drum Sander such as a SuperMax to sand down to that thickness

https://www.supermaxtools.com/wp-con...og-2017-18.pdf
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Three sheets of commercial veneer make 1/16”~
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    possibly something like this?? http://ocoochhardwoods.com/hardwood_veneers.php also see some on ebay
    This looks like tthe right answer Dennis, since you said your bandsaw cant do it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use a piece of Melamine board with a cleat on the bottom so it hooks on my planer in-feed table and then I can plane down to as thin as you like since the planer thinks it is planing to 3/4" plus what ever thickness you want your stock to be. Example 3/4" + 1/16 the planer is really planing to 13/16 on the planer setting.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I use a piece of Melamine board with a cleat on the bottom so it hooks on my planer in-feed table and then I can plane down to as thin as you like since the planer thinks it is planing to 3/4" plus what ever thickness you want your stock to be. Example 3/4" + 1/16 the planer is really planing to 13/16 on the planer setting.
    Hi George,
    This sounds like a great tip that I could use. I can't quite visualize how you keep the part from sliding while being planed. Could you describe it more or post a picture some time?

Thanks very much!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have a board I use as well for thinner stock but going to 1/16th I think would tear up the wood being that thin...

Using a sled/fixture can certainly help to a certain extent, but when the material gets really thin, it's prone to getting "caught" by the rotating knives in a "less than pretty" way, sometimes with a nice "bang" to accompany it. It doesn't matter that the machine "thinks" it's thicker in that respect...it's the nature of thin stock and whirring knives. A drum sander is the ideal tool to manufacture stock thinner than about 3/16 but gluing up veneer is also worthy to consider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Check out Brian boggs instagram page. He just posted his setup for planing stock at thin as .030"

It uses a shop vac to pull negative pressure against the stock. The whole thing is just a sealed box acting as the bed of the planer. A set of holes directly under the cutterhead keeps the stock from moving/chattering during the cut. It's a really simple setup.
    Screenshot_20180704-120752.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 07-04-2018 at 12:10 PM.

I learned a trick from a machine shop for attaching things to a CNC that sounds perfect for this. Put painters tape on the sled and the work piece, then run a perimeter of super glue. When I peel things off the cnc, it has held very very well, then once it is lifted the tape just peels right off.

Blog Entries
    I recently planed down some red Oak to about 1/16" thickness with my 12-1/2" Delta lunch box planer. I resawed a piece about 1/8" thick with my band saw. Then I took a flat piece of stock that was longer and wider and spaced out strips of double sided tape every 3-4" cross wise along the length to the strip. I attached the strip to my sled good side down. I ran it through my planer until it was the thickness I wanted. Then I carefully pried up the thin piece to free it from the double sided tape.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Veneer dealers sometimes have 1/16" construction veneers; I bought some in cherry for a bent lamination project some years ago.

Blog Entries

A surprising and lucky solution

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had done a nativity for my wife and I needed to antique it so I went to A.C. Moore for some antiquing paint and surprisingly they had 1/8", 1/16", 3/32" and 1/4" wood at very reasonable prices (I only need small quantities for my toys). Lucky day for me.
    Thanks again
    Dennis