Thread: Dinged plane!

Dinged plane!

Was planing a thin piece of oak with my Veritas jack plane. I clamped a narrow strip of wood at the end of the bench as a planing stop. Klutz that I am, I ran the plane into the clamp on an errant pass and put a little notch on the front corner I think those Veritas planing stops might be worth it after all... too bad I just missed the free shipping window!

I feel your pain... BTDT....

On my current project, I cut through the cord on my Festool track saw....

Cheers,

Rob

I have done that few times and whacked the holdfast holding the stop down, but never quite enough to cause damage to my relieve. Recently though I got the mortised bench stop from Lee Valley. BEST PURCHASE EVER. Don't know why I waited so long.

Sometimes it pays to have a bench you don't mind putting a nail in. You can just tack the thin battens/stops down where you need 'em with finishing nails, Art Carpenter style.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Was planing a thin piece of oak with my Veritas jack plane. I clamped a narrow strip of wood at the end of the bench as a planing stop. Klutz that I am, I ran the plane into the clamp on an errant pass and put a little notch on the front corner I think those Veritas planing stops might be worth it after all... too bad I just missed the free shipping window!
    Steven

If on a corner, it is possible to file out the ding, and then repaint the area. The metal will have mushroomed - ensure that it has not spread to the sole. That would need to be filed to avoid scratching the wood when planing. Photos would help.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, yes it was on the front bottom edge of the plane so I filed it smooth. The metal is not painted on that edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    I feel your pain... BTDT....

On my current project, I cut through the cord on my Festool track saw....

Cheers,

Rob
    My father gave me the 49 ft extension cord he used to use with his electric hedge trimmers

John

Reminds me that I need to pull out my heat shrink tubing assortment from LV and redo the splice

Blog Entries
    It must be my aversion to metal stops or metal anywhere near where a plane may go that has allowed me to escape such a tragedy.

Wooden dogs, a batten with dog holes to match the bench dog holes or a piece of scrap clamped to an apron on the end of the bench. Many ways to keep one's planes away from danger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)