Thread: Nova live center

Nova live center

Does anyone have experience with the Nova live center system? Does it compare to the Oneway?

I have the Nova live center system, but have never used the Oneway, so can't compare them from personal experience. I got the Nova center because I think it could be more versatile than the Oneway. If you want more information on the Nova center, Mike Peace has a Youtube video on it that is very informative.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I have both. Absolutely love my Nova live center. What I like the most is the ability to make your own points. The Nova live center uses a very short #2 morse taper. So I simply turn a #2 morse taper on one end of a piece of wood. Then drive it in the tailstock and turn what ever shape I want. Then I remove it and cut the morse taper to the length needed for the Nova center. I've played with other live centers that have multiple tips and they also work fine but it's hard to make your own custom points for the others. I also love the Nova adaptor that has screw threads. No only can you use the one that comes with the center but you can make your own using standard screws.
    To make your own #2 morse tapers just measure the size of a morse taper 2" apart. Use your parting tool to cut down to size at one end of a spingle and then then move down 2" and make the other dimension. Now cut that taper as close as you can. I find that if I make the middle inch a little smaller then the 2 full size portions mate with the female taper better since wood is somewhat flexible. I make a jig that makes if very fast to make these. It's 2" long and has the dimensions ground in both sides as a sort of go/nogo gauge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnC Lucas; 07-04-2018 at 7:14 AM.

I have the Oneway and 2 Powermatic that are about the same as the Oneway (they used to be silver like the Oneway but now black). All three get very warm to almost hot with a lot of use. The Nova which is a better buy and more versatile in my use does not get warm/hot. I have two sets of the Nova live centers but in normal turning I will grab whichever is closest. If the job is going to be arduous I will use the Nova. Again the Nova is hard to beat when you are looking at price/versatility.

Just like John L. I like the Nova live center and use it a lot, easily the most versatile center in my kit. In fact, I use it so much I bought a second one.

It is the most flexible live center I've seen offering many ways to hold things. I too make a a variety of wooden inserts for the short #2MT taper in the center. I make some with small diameter ends that fit into holes to support spindles. A very useful one is about 3-4 long to get the tailstock away from the piece and give me some extra working room. Since the insert is made of wood I can cut into it as needed while working on the supported piece.

Like John L, I made a little gauge which which makes turning a #2MT easy. I've used it to turn supporting drive tapers on 100s of "magic" wands and other thin spindles. The two ends are sized to the diameters of a taper at the end and about 1/2" into the taper in the lathe spindle.
    morse_taper.jpg
    To turn short inserts for the Nova live center I mount a piece of wood in a scroll chuck and check the fit before parting off. I usually turn these tapers on long, thin spindles between centers.
    BTW, the method of holding long, thin spindles with a taper is far better than turning them between centers and has several strong advantages over using a scroll chuck, one being the work can be removed and remounted on the lathe as often as desired with perfect registration every time.

NOW seems like a good time to buy a Nova center if you like to buy from Amazon. I've paid nearly $70 but right now the price is $50. https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-5015-Cen.../dp/B0064JIZGC

While you're at it, consider their tailstock adapter which allow mounting a chuck on the tailstock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JJ49Y
    With that lilttle adapter, the Oneway live center, a 3/4x10 tap, a 1-1/4x8 spindle tap, an inexpensive set of #2MT collets, and the Nova live center (and some scroll chucks, of course!) I can hold about anything I run into that doesn't need the vacuum chuck. I have a club demo in a couple of weeks on work holding on the lathe so I've been spreading out all these things to contemplate!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I have both. Absolutely love my Nova live center. What I like the most is the ability to make your own points. The Nova live center uses a very short #2 morse taper. So I simply turn a #2 morse taper on one end of a piece of wood. Then drive it in the tailstock and turn what ever shape I want. Then I remove it and cut the morse taper to the length needed for the Nova center. I've played with other live centers that have multiple tips and they also work fine but it's hard to make your own custom points for the others. I also love the Nova adaptor that has screw threads. No only can you use the one that comes with the center but you can make your own using standard screws.
    To make your own #2 morse tapers just measure the size of a morse taper 2" apart. Use your parting tool to cut down to size at one end of a spingle and then then move down 2" and make the other dimension. Now cut that taper as close as you can. I find that if I make the middle inch a little smaller then the 2 full size portions mate with the female taper better since wood is somewhat flexible. I make a jig that makes if very fast to make these. It's 2" long and has the dimensions ground in both sides as a sort of go/nogo gauge.

I do not have the Oneway but I believe it has two sets of bearings where the Nova has three.
    I usually make my custom with the threaded insert and tee nuts. Just drill for the barrel of the tee nut, hammer it in, and screw on the the treaded insert. Gives repeatability and metal to metal contact.
    I believe the Oneway can be locked to used in the headstock, but then you need to buy another for the tailstock.
    The Nova threaded insert is 2mt so it fits my headstock and any custom live center can be used as a custom dead center. I usually only do this under about 10" diameter and use a more substantial friction drive for larger.

I didn't have a wood vase available when someone wanted a pic using as a friction drive ... or I turned it really really thin... can't remember now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I have had my Nova for close to 20 years now. I've never had to replace the bearings. I hear people talking about replacing the bearings in the Powermatic fairly frequently but I've never had to replace mine and it's probably 13 or 14 years old.

The Nova does only have 2 bearings, but it does have a lot going for it. Different tips, it's hollow so you can do lamp post hollowing. As mentioned, parts can be easily made. IMO a tremendous value.
    I also paid way more than 50 bucks for mine. Jump on that deal. You cannot go wrong.

Maybe they have changed to two bearings but mine (and the Teknatool site) still list three. I have never needed to take mine apart to see.
    "Made to last, with a tough triple bearing system and precision machined from solid 1045K machine steel for long life and precise fits." https://www.teknatool.com/product/no...-stepped-cone/

Other "points" can also be used in the headstock such as the "hollow cup center" as a safety chuck or the "stepped cone" reversed as a friction drive if the stock is square.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

These forums are expensive. Just ordered mine. Thanks for all the tips. Looks a like a great tool.
    Where did I put that?