Thread: Cost of screws

Cost of screws

Doing a small project and needed #10 X 1 1/4 pan head sheet metal screws. Had a $5 Ace Hardware reward card that was going to expire in about 30 days so even though farther than HD I went to Ace. Glad I had a $5 card, a box of 100 was $8.99. When back home I went online and checked HD, $6.95. Cheaper at HD but still a lot of money for a box of #10 screws in my opinion. The Ace screws look to be a better quality than HD and I have not stripped a head with the Ace screws yet. I had not bought a box of sheet metal screws in ages and am amazed at the current prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Doing a small project and needed #10 X 1 1/4 pan head sheet metal screws. Had a $5 Ace Hardware reward card that was going to expire in about 30 days so even though farther than HD I went to Ace. Glad I had a $5 card, a box of 100 was $8.99. When back home I went online and checked HD, $6.95. Cheaper at HD but still a lot of money for a box of #10 screws in my opinion. The Ace screws look to be a better quality than HD and I have not stripped a head with the Ace screws yet. I had not bought a box of sheet metal screws in ages and am amazed at the current prices.
    Yeah, screws have gone up too. But one good thing about ACE, around here at least, is they are a locally owned business.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I paid $16 for about a dozen #8 1 1/2" brass slotted screws today at my local Ace.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

You might buy them in bulk to get a discount. Or get pocket hole screws, as they're essentially the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    The Ace screws look to be a better quality than HD and I have not stripped a head with the Ace screws yet..
    I think you are correct. After stripping out the heads of too many Big Box Store screws, I vowed to never buy them again.

I pay the $1 or $2 more for a box of Ace screws.

It feels to me like the big box stores have bumped prices of many items. I used to feel it was cost effective to purchase there, but have been going elsewhere more and more.

In my area, Ace Hardware has really raised their prices on their hardware quite a bit over the last few years. The most complete hardware store around is my local Ace hardware but they seemed to have drifted from being a commercially oriented hardware store where you could buy everything from router bits to hardware to a more Walmart/Kmart type retail operation. The gift card thing I am not a fan of. They raised their prices dramatically over time and then give me some of my expenditures back if I use the gift card within the alloted time? Why not just give me a lower price up front?

Luckily with a paper mill in town, other hardware-oriented businesses are sources when I need them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    You might buy them in bulk to get a discount. Or get pocket hole screws, as they're essentially the same.
    As brass slotted screws?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

There will be an endless number of posts about prices going up, because EVERYTHING is going up. The demand and supply of cheap goods will be gone for a while, if it ever goes back to pre pandemic levels. There could be an argument made that the desire for cheap products/high profits is what killed the factories in our country. Hospitals have replace Caterpillar as the big industry here in Peoria.

Home depot here does not sell screws with a box discount. They just look at cost per screw and times 100 to get box cost. Just bought some bolts at habitat yesterday for $1.50 per pound. Nails are $1.00 per pound.
    Bill D.