Thread: making tool cabinet modular

making tool cabinet modular

Hey guys,

I am finally getting things more or less set up in the garage shop (moved from the basement one) and the next bigger project that I am starting to scope out is a hanging tool cabinet. Challenge is that my tool collection is still evolving and I am still experimenting with what I use the most etc and likely will be for some time. It seems most of the tool cabinets are based around a pretty fixed tool set.

Do people tend to build the cases so that the different storage options can be taken out and reconfigured, or am I better off using something like different tool storage pieces hung from french cleats until I have a better understanding of what I want?

I suspect that all would agree that tool collections are always evolving, and even storage can be classified into "easy access storage" and "I need this occasionally" storage. So you have a couple of options -- build the hanging tool cabinet based on what you 'think' you'll be using on a regular basis, and be ok with taking it apart later to reconfigure it. Or a modular system that can look good no matter how it's configured. If you base everything off of French cleats - you can go in either direction.

Brandon,
    I would suggest you either build temp/easy Tills now and wait and see what tool "needs" develop over time.

FWIW- I built both my current Plane Till & Saw Till to hold a finite defined number of toys, I really don't need any new additions. I've been working wood for over 50 years and apparently needed some level of tool restraint especially since joining SMC (Derick is not only dangerous to relationships but the pocketbook as well).

Regards - Bill

I like tools being out on a wall mount just for ease of access rather than limiting yourself to a tool cabinet. They look like great projects, though! I think french cleats or just a simple pegboard type system is great.

I just use systainers, but if I had the time I would have a series of boxes with tools in them...hanging on cleats.

There's a luthier in Oregon, Peter Tsorbia that has the most beautiful organization I've seen.
    He was a cabinetmaker by trade, and turned all his spare wood into cabinets when he decided to pursue guitars full time.
    I'm not sure how to link to the photo of the workshop.

https://youtu.be/lxoa-vAV7z4 start at 0:50 to see his workshop (briefly)

I say build some type of tool cabinet for what you have now and what you reasonably expect to acquire in the nearer future. Like a bench, it does not have to be your final cabinet and will get you up and running now. Cabinets do help lessen tool rusting in garage or other non-climate controlled shops by preventing moisture from settling on the tools. I would not agonize on future tool purchases too much when planning on the cabinet size and interior layout. Like a first bench, the first cabinet will help you better figure out what will work best for you at a later point. If moisture is not an issue at all, then hanging tools on a wall does become more attractive to some for their accessibility.
    David

I've built a couple of cabinets, what I would call tansu inspired. Never made for tools though. I did make one for my wife to use in her office. I used 8 1/2 paper size as a base size for some and index card size, 5" for others. Some are double size of others one has sliding doors. They will stack together in various configurations, straight, stair step, etc. I guess you could do something like that and French cleat them. It sounds good enough I may try it for myself. I'm in need of tool cabinets again.
    Jim

I dont have much in the way of rust issues in my garage, it is heated in the winter and while not AC in the summer it is under the 2nd story of my house which helps and I also run a dehumidifier out there so rust is minimized. Maybe the way to go is to build the different tills (plane, saw, chisel, etc) hanging on cleats for a bit, once I kind of have the arrangement worked out then build the cabinet and then install the various pre-made tills.

I actually might be over thinking this, a keyhole / slot rack behind the bench to hold chisels and layout tools would be handy and then the cabinet would mostly be a saw till and plane till and as long as I left extra slots it could last long enough for me to develop enough skill to make a better one

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post

I actually might be over thinking this, a keyhole / slot rack behind the bench to hold chisels and layout tools would be handy and then the cabinet would mostly be a saw till and plane till and as long as I left extra slots it could last long enough for me to develop enough skill to make a better one
    Exactly, go for it.