Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection question

Dust can hang in the air for hours after the last cut and be stirred up off the floor simply by walking across it. So you need to wear that PPE (personal protective equipment) all the time you are in the shop. Only way to work without PPE is with a very powerful system exhausting outside or through very good filters. My opinion of air cleaners is that you are filtering the air with your lungs until the air cleaner has done its job. Entirely your choice as to what extent you take to handling the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron olson View Post
    Is there a solution that doesn't require wearing a mask the full time one is in the shop? I am in here now for example and gut some wood 10 or so minutes ago with the mask and have it off and have a voice in my head saying I should be wearing it.
    One solution is to monitor what is actually in the air. As recommended by Pentz and others, I bought this laser particle counting air quality monitor. High numbers can tell you when to keep the mask on.

dylos_particulate_monitor.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

BTW, it's the same price now as it was when I bought mine in 2012

Also, what mask do you wear? I have and have tried a bunch and the most effective and the one I use is the 3M respirator with dual P100 filters:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86

I have several models of these and this particular one my favorite. Comfortable, seals well, easy to put on and remove, no detectable resistance to breathing, can wear with glasses and under a full face shield. And inexpensive. I also have an older Trend powered respirator but I don't use it any more since I like the combo of the 3M and Bionic face shield.

JKJ

I have one of those too. There are a whole range of air quality monitors available on Ebay, Aliexpress, etc., starting at about $40 and up that will give you an indication of what is going on in your shop. There is information in the Aussie Woodwork forum about them and also making your own from components for under $100 if you like playing with electronics.

Thanks for the links. I own a 3m 6502 with the daughter loving pink filters currently. It is comfortable for the most part but hours on end it gets old.

So what I am struggling a bit with is, if i were to decide to upgrade to a new clearvue for example I would still be wearing the mask. So it seems the main reason i would do this is if i would like to capture more of the dust at the source so I am not cleaning as much. In addition it would be to a common location so only emptying a single bin. I understand to each there own but am i missing something here where I should give more weight towards an upgrade?

Thanks for the links. I own a 3m 6502 with the daughter loving pink filters currently. It is comfortable for the most part but hours on end it gets old.

So what I am struggling a bit with is, if i were to decide to upgrade to a new clearvue for example I would still be wearing the mask. So it seems the main reason i would do this is if i would like to capture more of the dust at the source so I am not cleaning as much. In addition it would be to a common location so only emptying a single bin. I understand to each there own but am i missing something here where I should give more weight towards an upgrade?
    I think most of it depends on what you do in the shop and what tools you use and how good the dust pickup is for each. You can have the best dust collector in the world and connect it to a machine with lousy pickup and still get a lot of dust in the air. Also, you have to consider how to filter the air returning to the shop or whether to dump it outside.

I don't wear the respirator when woodturning (I nbever power sand with rotating disks), sawing (tablesaw or bandsaw), or drum sanding with a Performax 22-44 but do wear it sometimes when using the belt/disk sander or hand sanders. An oscillating drum/belt sander is horrible for dust pickup so I keep it outside on covered shop porch. I don't have good dust pickup yet on a SCMS but I'd change that if I used it in the main shop. FWIW, the 7500 series respirators are a lot more comfortable than the 6000 series respirators I used for years.

JKJK

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Matthew are you able to tell any other professions without being told? I worked in an aerospace machining shop and the air was filled with oil/cooling mist from the machining and the metal dust from the edge and surface grinding the metal finishers did. One machinist had to go on a compensation pension because of the damage to his breathing, like emphysema. I have sensitivity to dust, asthma like, from it too along with some hearing damage. Any suggestions for noise control in the shop aside from good ear muffs?
    Peter
    Yes. Just a few. Every profession has it's own conditions that are common. Remember that some older people are not into habbits of using protection like we do now.

Whoever told you that is simply wrong. Go to the Australian Woodworking Forums and get some factual information backed up by good reasoning and data. It is without doubt the best place to do some research and sort the chaff from the hay. The statement above for instance concerning CMS hoods is wrong, given good design and a capable dust extractor there is a very high collection rate. At the moment there is a very interesting discussion on dust concentrations and sampling using an Ebay product and its pluses and minuses and the life of different particle sizes in the air. You could spend a week there reading all the useful stuff.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Aaron,

You bring up a good point that often as soon as we turn the saw off, we take the mask off, after all, I don't really want to wear the thing constantly, do you? But logic tells me the most harmful suspended micro-particles of dust we cannot see are still hanging around. Simply turning off the lights and shining a flashlight will tell the story.

The air filtration unit is excellent, but my point remains: it doesn't clean the air immediately.

I really think a climate controlled and/or closed up shop is going to require more extraordinary measures to keep the air healthy.

My solution to this problem is actually forced on me in that I don't have climate controlled and shop, so with the doors open and a couple circulating fans going. I have a large exhaust fan that clears the air quite rapidly.

Fortunately I live in a moderate winter climate but I think the principle would still apply - exhaust the bad air.

Hi Aaron, there are 2 issues for collection at source

- enough capacity in CFM at the desired pressure
    - good design of machinery to allow effective collection of dust

the third issue of course is filtering.

the dust collector is easy, simply calculate what you need in CFM, calculate your duct losses and select a machine that meets those 2 points.

The collection at machine is difficult, for a table saw you'll need both above and below the blade collection. For a CMS the best bet is to scrap it, the second is to purchase one that was designed for dust collection such as the Kapex, or third use a combination of dust collector and shop vacuum.

For sanding such as ROS, purchase a sander designed for collection, use an appropriate dust extractor, same for routers.

I don't need to wear a mask in the shop as I've designed for good dust pickup, have a cyclone with a HEPA filter, don't use a router, and replaced my sanders with sanders designed for dust collection.

I also purchased a particle counter which really helped with shop improvements..............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    For a CMS the best bet is to scrap it, the second is to purchase one that was designed for dust collection such as the Kapex, or third use a combination of dust collector and shop vacuum.
    I have a 5 sided enclosure built behind my SCMS with an 8" duct run to it. There is no noticeable dust that gets out of there. The saw itself is an old 12" Makita that has horrible dust collection on its own.