Thread: Glass Serving Plates-Dishes

Glass Serving Plates-Dishes

Does anyone know of a supplier for clear glass dishes/platters, etc. Our local youth fair wants us to make an award on a glass plate (12+ inches round). Found some clear glass ones online but they are either crazy expensive or the lip/rim is not flat or is very narrow. I would guess that if the rim is angled inward the engraving would be off due to variations in focus. Anyone have a source or some advice? Thanks.
    40W Epilog Mini
    CorelDraw X8

Have you gone to Wal-Mart/Target or a local restaurant supply place to look for inexpensive glass plates in person so you could inspect before you buy?
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Blog Entries
    Dollar TREE! If you have store local, then anything in their catalog will be shipped free to store for pickup. I've used their plates and they work well. Flat bottom, about 6" diameter and slight curve. I was able to engrave on them. Might be other types there also. Cheapest glass works the best.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Checked all the box stores, etc. Nothing. Either too small (regular dinner plate), frosted, etc. John...any chance you have a pic of the one with the angled glass. Curious how well it engraved. How did you set focus?
    40W Epilog Mini
    CorelDraw X8

Quote Originally Posted by Sean P Brennan View Post
    Does anyone know of a supplier for clear glass dishes/platters, etc. Our local youth fair wants us to make an award on a glass plate (12+ inches round). Found some clear glass ones online but they are either crazy expensive or the lip/rim is not flat or is very narrow. I would guess that if the rim is angled inward the engraving would be off due to variations in focus. Anyone have a source or some advice? Thanks.
    Remember if it is flat clear glass you can just reverse engrave it on the bottom thus leaving the front smooth and still usable as well as avoiding any focus problems. Just FWIW.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Blog Entries
    No good pictures, sorry, and I checked dollartree and their plates are backordered for next 30 days...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others