Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Cherry and Alder

Blog Entries
    A LOT of difference in cherry. Older heartwood is going to be different than younger outer wood. (not including sapwood which will obviously be different) And how you are lasering the wood makes a difference too. Out of focus usually gives me darker look, but it can't be too far out. Usually dead focus is very little char. Which depending on what you are after, works well. You can always color fill if you have masked it before you laser. (or if burned deep enough, Fill and sand top layer back down.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    A LOT of difference in cherry. Older heartwood is going to be different than younger outer wood. (not including sapwood which will obviously be different) And how you are lasering the wood makes a difference too. Out of focus usually gives me darker look, but it can't be too far out. Usually dead focus is very little char. Which depending on what you are after, works well. You can always color fill if you have masked it before you laser. (or if burned deep enough, Fill and sand top layer back down.
    Hm, so even just using a longer focal length lens might achieve the same result.

3. A lot things are being made with Acacia wood these days and I've had pretty good luck with these. My coworker keeps wanting me to make gifts for her friends so I've worked with some. I am not sure if it is available across the pond.
    APLazer SN 2816
    I use Corel and Adobe for image editing.
    PhotoGrav 3.1 and Lasercut 5.3 came with the machine.

All I know of acacia, is that's what these are! (Ikea outdoor flooring)
    acacia.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Acacia is a collection of lots of species that grow in mostly Australia, Africa, and Asia. Hawaiian Acacia is called Koa. It's typically thorny, grows fairly quick, and not very tall. Lots of Chinese goods are made from it, since it is moderately priced and plentiful.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned bamboo.

Lyptus is another good choice: it darkens slightly over time but nowhere near as much as cherry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyptus
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I don't buy the stuff, but I get plenty brought to me, and much of the bamboo I'm seeing lately is highly variegated- very pretty to look at but engraves very inconsistent.

A couple of years ago a nephew brought me some bamboo flooring scraps, that stuff engraved beautifully.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I don't buy the stuff, but I get plenty brought to me, and much of the bamboo I'm seeing lately is highly variegated- very pretty to look at but engraves very inconsistent.

A couple of years ago a nephew brought me some bamboo flooring scraps, that stuff engraved beautifully.
    Depends on how they lay out the strips for gluing: some of the stuff has "vertical grain" for lack of a better description, where the strips are perpendicular to the face of the board, making it look almost like zebrawood. OTOH, the stuff where they cover that with horizontal strips is very nice to work with.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Bamboo is not right for every project or client, but engraves well.