Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Cherry and Alder

Alternative to Cherry and Alder

I've been using Cherry as I like how it looks when planed and sanded, but have decided I'd prefer a wood that didn't darken over time. Alder seems to be the obvious choice but i can't seemingly get any where I live. Is there another possibility, whether a hard or softwood? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Maple, Magnolia (if you can find it) Poplar can be slightly green, but doesn't change, mahogany doesn't really get much darker.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Actually mahogany and poplar are very affected by oxidation.

Maple, pine, oak are not affected much by oxidation.

Somewhere there is an article about it try a Google search.

I'm surprised you can't find alder? Around these parts at least it's probably the most popular wood for kitchen cabinetry lately, especially in refurbs because it's nice looking and relatively inexpensive... and it engraves great!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Alder is cheaper than cherry at the lumber yard I go to in San Antonio. I like alder because it's easy to work with and leaves a great contrast. But it is pretty boring wood. Practically no figure to it.

Have you tried mesquite? Mesquite leaves a really nice dark mark when lasered. Great contrast. Mesquite can range from kinda dark orange to grey with a slight pinkish tinge.

I've had pretty mixed results with maple. Some maple leaves nice dark mark when shot with the laser and other pieces leave almost no contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    ...Have you tried mesquite? Mesquite leaves a really nice dark mark when lasered. Great contrast. Mesquite can range from kinda dark orange to grey with a slight pinkish tinge...
    Bonus: The scrap pile can be used to grill meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Bonus: The scrap pile can be used to grill meat.
    Like!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm surprised you can't find alder? Around these parts at least it's probably the most popular wood for kitchen cabinetry lately, especially in refurbs because it's nice looking and relatively inexpensive... and it engraves great!
    It depends on which coast you're nearer to. I live in S.E. PA and was looking for some alder once. I could get #1 common cherry cheaper. I'm sure the situation would be reversed if I were nearer the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    Alder is cheaper than cherry at the lumber yard I go to in San Antonio. I like alder because it's easy to work with and leaves a great contrast. But it is pretty boring wood. Practically no figure to it.
    That's why it's great for laser engraving, the wood doesn't 'get in the way' of the artwork And with the right finish, alder pops nicely...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Actually mahogany and poplar are very affected by oxidation.

Maple, pine, oak are not affected much by oxidation.

Somewhere there is an article about it try a Google search.
    Well, I've got Poplar lumber and Mahogany that is over 25 years old in my shop that hasn't changed enough to notice. I cut a piece of mahogany a month ago and it is same color inside. Now if you finish it, all bets are off.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I'm in the UK and none of the lumberyards in reasonable driving distance have had Alder for some time now. I suspect whoever is supplying them can no longer do so. I will try Maple based on the advice in this thread, thanks all

If you are looking for a wood species that has beautiful grain and engraves well try Hickory. Its very hard and dense wood and I have never noticed that the color changed over time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Well, I've got Poplar lumber and Mahogany that is over 25 years old in my shop that hasn't changed enough to notice. I cut a piece of mahogany a month ago and it is same color inside. Now if you finish it, all bets are off.
    It may already be old enough that its color stabilized.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...color-changing

Quote Originally Posted by paul simonson View Post
    I'm in the UK and none of the lumberyards in reasonable driving distance have had Alder for some time now. I suspect whoever is supplying them can no longer do so. I will try Maple based on the advice in this thread, thanks all
    I would get a few samples of different kinds of maples to try. I think generically they separate them by soft and hard, but there's probably a bunch of different species within those categories. If you can find a cabinet shop to give/sell you some drops of different species of wood to test, that would be good too.

What I really wish is if there was some way to tell if a particular piece of wood was going to give good contrast prior to buying it.

It's odd. I've had some pieces of cherry that gave great contrast and some that didn't. Same settings, same species. Just different pieces (presumably different trees?) Ditto for maple. Alder seems a hair more consistent but even with alder, same problem.

Maybe a little branding iron and a lighter or something? Stab a tiny little piece of the wood in an innocuous spot and see how dark it gets? I dunno, just spitballing here.