Thread: Slot cutting problem, advice would be appreciated

Slot cutting problem, advice would be appreciated

I need to make a 1/16 inch deep groove 3/32" wide on a fishing landing net. I am thinking of using a slot cutter, the guide bearings I have are to small, I need a 8mm X 46mm x 6mm a google search did not help locating a bearing. If someone has advice on a different approach on how to cut the groove or where I can purchase a bearing I would like to hear it.
    Thanks for suggestions
    Phil

Blog Entries
    A slot cutter may tear out at the sides, personally I would use a down cut router bit.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Do you have a router table? If you do, take off the standard fence and fit a circular fence over the slot cutter. The circle is offset so that the slot cutter sticks out one side the required 1/16th. If you don't have a router table, fit the same style of fence to the bottom of your router. It's just a bit more cumbersome. Fence materials are scrap ply or mdf. Clear as mud? Happy to clarify any of the above. Cheers

Try MLCS . They have a large selection of bearings for slot cutters. Also you could build up the surface with tape layers - would also help to limit tear out.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    A slot cutter may tear out at the sides, personally I would use a down cut router bit.
    THIS ^^ with an edge guide.

Any reason it can not be wider? How long does this have to be and how accurate. Are you cutting wood? If this is in wood the groove will expand and contract with moisture.
    Bill D.

I have a 3" circular saw blade made by Dremel that I was going to mount on my shaper for a similar job. For your thin slot you would have to reset the teeth.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Do you have a router table? If you do, take off the standard fence and fit a circular fence over the slot cutter. The circle is offset so that the slot cutter sticks out one side the required 1/16th. If you don't have a router table, fit the same style of fence to the bottom of your router. It's just a bit more cumbersome. Fence materials are scrap ply or mdf. Clear as mud? Happy to clarify any of the above. Cheers
    This is the good bet! I use this concept often whereas I lack the bearing. Not just for slots but many different profiles.

We nee a better description. Why and where do you need this slot? maybe there is another way to accomplish the same function.
    There is no way you are going to cut an accurate width slot in a net. The fabric will foul any rotary cutter in. under a second. So I do not think you are slotting a net like you said. What are you trying to do and why.
    Bil lD.

Thanks for the suggestions, Wayne's idea will work for cutting the groove centered in the wooden 3/4 inch wide net frame hoop not the net material. The groove is for the 50 lb tensil strength thread to attach the net bag to the hoop.

Hi Phil,
    I've been making landing nets for a few years now and use a 1/8" V-bit in a hand held trim router with a guide fence. I (two sided) tape the 3/4" x <1/8" strip flush with the edge of a jointed piece of stock, fiddle around getting depth and midline setup dead on(??) and route out the groove. I use a V-shaped rubber sanding "thing" to smooth the groove, then steam with two other strips and jig them up. Let me know I you have other ????. I will try to send pics.

How about a oscillating tool to cut the groove?
    Bill D

Hi John,
    I mostly understand what you are explaining. I will try the setup and I may be able to figure it out. I have 3 net frames already out of the forms and I am at a stand still until I figure out how to do the groove. This is my first attempt at making landing nets.
    Thanks,
    Phil

If the hoops are already shaped and laminated a router table will work or if you can mount your router upside down to use as a table. The grooves only need to be slightly deeper than the thread diam. and narrow width as well. A slot cutter seems big. You could make a scraper in a jig and scribe them by hand too. Much easier to groove before bending. Good luck. Still trying to get pics up.