Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt or Bosch SCMS?

The Bosch Glider seems to be a crap shoot. Plenty of people report no slop, then a sizeable number report slop. I have seen saws with none and some with an unacceptable amount. If I hauled a saw around all the time I would probably buy the Kapex and put up with its quirks and potential armature failure. I took the road less traveled when I bought my current miter saw, I have the Milwaukee 6955-20 and have been happy with it for about 8 years.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

"The Bosch Glider seems to be a crap shoot."

Pretty much my feeling about sliders in general. All that mechanism hanging out there, just looking for a reason to go out of square.

Kind of reminds me of an old pilot friend's remark about helicopters: "You can tell by lookin' at 'em that they're not supposed to fly."

I think I will see if I can find an online manual for the Bosch and see how much installation/setup is involved with a new one.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My Bosch is set up in my home miter station and never gets moved. I have an older dewalt 715that I've had for many years and it is still dead on, but it's not a slider. I would think that any slider, if pulled in and out of a truck on a daily basis, would get knocked out of square. I have had great luck with the dewalt and so far, excellent luck on the Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    I picked up a Freud 80T blade to do one last attempt at properly calibrating the Bosch. Still had the same problems. Goes out of square on 90 as soon as I engage the bevel and set it back to 90. Even though I was able to get the 90 pretty much dead on, the other detents were a degree or 2 off on test cuts. My last couple major tool purchases had some hiccups, so I was hoping this one would go smoother, but alas, I'm cursed! Hah.

I hate how bulky the DeWalt 780 is, but if I can get accurate cuts out of it, then I don't mind making some space. For what its worth, I've never had a single problem with any of my DeWalt tools. Rock solid performers.
    Out of the box my Axial glide sucked. I did a frame and was aghast at how much the 45s were out. About 1/2 degree each so by the time I got to the last cut that should have completed the box the parts weren't even close to touching. Added up to about 2 degrees out in a frame.

So I took the detent off the machine and cut it. It has two adjustment screws on either side of the machine, so I was able to adjust the right and left 45s independently of each other. I got it nearly perfect. Now when I do frames the last cuts are right there. Sometimes a bit off but it's likely because of a slight curve in the stock. Now I just use 2P10 and yellow glue to put frames together, no nails required because the miters are so tight.

I don't have any issues with the bevel throwing anything off. After my modifications the saw is great.

Blog Entries
    My Kapex moved out of square after moderately heavy cuts but I resolved the issue. The used small bolts to hold down the detent ring, the bolt face is only slightly larger than the hole in the ring so it did not take much shock to move it out of place. Added washers, problem solved.

Next was resolving the kickback issue, that was done with aluminum auxiliary fence.

Im not sure why the first issue couldn’t have been resolved by the OEM. The bolt size, btw; 5.5mm. Not 6mm...so hunting down more appropriate looking washer faced bolts was pretty much impossible in the US.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-14-2018 at 8:38 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.