Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this old rusty 30" disc sander

Thoughts on this old rusty 30" disc sander

https://chambana.craigslist.org/tls/...632479655.html

Just saw this posted near me and I do want a large disc sander. I was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on this machine and if it is worth fixing up. Is $600 a good price?

I already contacted the seller asking for a model number and motor specs.

If all of the parts are there and nothing is cracked, then yes, it's worth rebuilding. You would definitely need to see it up front and personal,and see just how extensive the rust issue is. I would primarily be concerned with pitting on the arbor shaft. The rest is cosmetic. I don't know about ever getting $5K for it restored. A 30" Oliver can be had for less than that.
    It would appear that it has a Babbitt style bearing, with a drip oil cup. Nothing wrong it as long as the babbitt doesn't need to be repaired. If you do buy it, don't run it until you're confident of that bearing.

All in all though, 30" is a huge disc sander. You're not going to run past those every day. That's big.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a dual 37", it's a big girl.

I'll try to schedule a showing. I guess as long as the disc is flat, the bearings are ok, and the motor is good, it should be a good tool. I don't mind doing all the cosmetic work. I have no plans of restoring and selling it either.

I see what you're pointing out about the bearings. Actually Looks like there are two and two drip cups. If the shaft spins smoothly and doesn't have any play is there need to check into it any further?

No motor specs posted, and I still haven't heard back from the seller. I'm guessing/worried it'll be a 3 phase motor and I'll need to add a vfd to the cost.

There are just way too many machines available that are in way better shape than this machine. Don’t compromise. Be patient.
    Found this Kindt Collins 24” for $1500. I painted and polished this. ZERO rust. 1966 year. F2FA82C5-72FE-4C5B-8A2C-A42E778DBA23.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Halsted View Post
    I see what you're pointing out about the bearings. Actually Looks like there are two and two drip cups. If the shaft spins smoothly and doesn't have any play is there need to check into it any further?.
    I would just pull the caps off the housings first. There may be additional shim material to take up for bearing wear between the two halves.
    Hopefully everything is there and it works. The rust and a repainting might take a weekend of time. Good Luck.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm totally for Old Arn.... but...

IMHO - Pretty darn rough looking, too many unknowns.. could be a Pandara's Box..... AND seller sounds a little goofy overall...

The only good thing here is close proximity to inspect w no shipping freight costs.

It is absolutely 3 phase.

Check into it more, but probably I would keep looking.. Other fish in the sea.

"The rust and a repainting might take a weekend of time. Good Luck."

Gonna be a longggggggg weekend.

Rust and repaint is the least of your possible worries here.

Certainly, being not as common big 30", makes it more $, I'm just sayin it looks ridden hard and put away wet.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-03-2018 at 9:47 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

The condition it is in will make it impossible to check for runout.

So, it's a "Cat in a Sack" as my Dad would say.

Could have even been tipped over and majorly tweaked.

Just too scary for me.

Maybe... maybe... for $200 knowing it's a gamble.

And then, getting it to the point of checking runout is first order of business.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Where do you find 30" paper? I bet it costs a premium over 24"
    It might be easier and cheaper to replace the bearings with modern pillow block ball bearings.
    I am not seeing any dust collection hookups. Of course that may be buried in the piles.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-03-2018 at 9:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Where do you find 30" paper? I bet it costs a premium over 24"
    It might be easier and cheaper to replace the bearings with modern pillow block ball bearings.
    I am not seeing any dust collection hookups. Of course that may be buried in the piles.
    Bill D.
    Abrasive suppliers, no problem finding 37" discs.
    They are not horribly expensive, plus they last forever.

11. I would look at the weight and not pay more then the scrap value. I love old tools but like Marc's father, "Your buying a Pig in a Poke" as my Grandfather would say. If I were to be in your shoes, I would look at the scrap value and that way you could recoup some of your investment if it is just trash.
    Neal Meyers Jr
    Euharlee Woodshop
    Guyton, GA
    "Move forward as if nobody is trying to Hinder you?" Abe Lincoln

12. Here’s another vote in favor of old arn, but away from that one. 3 phase is easy. Babbitt bearings are nothing to be afraid of. But that sander is questionable, and the seller sounds like he’s hocked used Plymouth’s in a past life. Big disc sanders aren’t all that rare. I’d keep looking, assuming you have a real need for one.

Actually, that diameter is more rare.

Every more sq inch of face has benefits, but do you really need that big of one?

You May, WE don't know what you make.

And, Ya, ever since HS shop I have had a fascination w BIG disk sanders.

Not to hijack the tread, .......... But is a Disc what you need... ?? VS an "Edge" belt sander?

Oscillating is great, but can always put a shimming board under work if one has a Non oscillating less $ machine.

Just sayin, most folks, not all, but most do not need this large of a DISK sander.

I'm just sayin from the Human fact of getting over enthused when on search for a machine, particularly Old Beautiful Gorgeous American USA Made Old Arn.

I HAVE "been there" Myself.

Bought a Delta Rockwell 12/14 saw recently.

1 ph, ugly Bies, Brett Guard.

No door, OK overall, was running.

$500, + $400 shipping by Uship.

Waiting to get to speed when time.

Like overbidding at an auction sometimes.

ALWAYS more fish in the sea.

But, again, Local driving distance and putting eyes and hands on a machine is a $4-700 shipping and heartache AND (will the transporter drop the load ?? ) GOTTA do due diligence selecting shipper savings.

UShip is a great possible transporter I have used two times for sub 1000 lb stuff... 3/4 + cross 48 states, $400 - $550./

So, that is your one advantage here... being local.

I would, personally, with my knowledge, ... hope for more known names...State, or Kindt Collins, et al.

Just my opinions, I would LOVE, although do not NEED, a big Disc.

Romantic memories of High School Shop and State disk and oscill spindle sanders.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-03-2018 at 6:36 PM.

My 30 inch is the least used machine. Mostly because the paper is not a consistent speed. Burns on the outside. I run it was 40 Grit Make some nice rasp . I much prefer the waterfall sander for large surfaces
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have a dual 37", it's a big girl.
    Wow! I would ask what you sand on that, but the answer would be, whatever you want too. That's a big sander.

John
    You really should go look at it.
    It could be a "cat in a sack", as Marc put it.(I think that's going to be my new term for awhile.) It could also be a worthwhile investment in time, and money.
    One thing about older machines is that they were designed to be repaired. New machines not so much. It may take a bit of work sometimes to repair one,but in the end you have something that was designed to perform a function first,not fit within a price point.
    That's a pretty heavy duty machine, and barring being tipped over, as someone pointed out, it's a good bet that it can be restored fairly easily. There really isn't much to it. Stand, motor, bearing, shaft, and platter. The rest is cosmetic.
    Maybe my estimate of a weekend to do the cosmetic work was a little lean, but if you already have the equipment to sandblast, prep, and paint, it won't take more than two.
    Don't be put off by the babbitt bearings if they need replacement. They are ridiculously simple to pour. It's the prep and alignment that takes all of the time. It might cost you a couple hundred to re-pour them, but that is assuming that you have none of the tools, or a torch, and would have to buy everything to do it. Babbitts are stilled poured today, all over the world. It's not an arcane skill lost to time.
    If you have a genuine need for a disc sander that big, I would definitely go check it out.