Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Wavy figure found in cherry - does this have a name?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Lake Burton, Northeast Georgia

    Wavy figure found in cherry - does this have a name?

    I turned this bowl from a cherry log found at a trailhead of the Benton McKaye trail, North Georgia. I noticed this wavy figure on the inside wall of the bowl, at the transition zone, going from side grain to end grain. It occurs on one side of the bowl, but not the other.

    Screenshot 2018-07-02 at 3.14.52 PM.jpg

    Screenshot 2018-07-02 at 3.23.22 PM.jpg

    Does this have a name?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Huntington, Vermont
    Ropey or flame curl.

  3. #3
    I just learned the other day that curl doesn't go all the way through the log, it's just under the bark somewhat like burl eyes. Am I correct in saying that? That would explain why the curl is just on one side.

  4. #4
    For some reason figure on cherry is usually only found near the sapwood.

  5. #5
    I have a slab like that and the guy I bought it from called it "rope cherry" as Kevin mentioned above.... it is 8/4 and has the figure all they way through, I've had it for years, cant bear to cut it up....

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    McMinnville, Tennessee
    Good information Dave, thanks!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts