Thread: Looking for old machines

Looking for old machines

Moderators, please move this if you think it should be posted somewhere else.

I'm looking for an old bandsaw part, I know they exist and are for sale somewhere, but I can't find one at the moment. Anyone share some ideas on where to look? I've tried: a want add here, Ebay, Craigslist, exfactory, irs auctions, general Google searches, and calling my usual "local" sources.

Any ideas?

You may want to look at OWWM (old woodworking machines). Depending on the age I think parts pronto may be worth a look.

It may help to let us know the part you need and for what saw. For example there are good sources for parts for individual brands but they may mainly specialize in one brand ie The Saw Center with Delta and Redmond with Powermatic.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You may be in the same boat as me, Steve - historically very few trees around our part of the country, so old woodworking equipment tends to be scarcer than some parts of the country!!

My other hobby is antique tractors - many brands of which may have gone by the wayside decades ago - its amazing how many tinkerers/craftsmen are out there who wind up just making the part they need - since a lot of times, replacement parts are non-existent.

What exactly are you looking for?

Howard

A bandsaw is a pretty crude machine. A decent machinist can make any part to fit one. question is can you afford to go that route.
    Bill D

I just noticed what he wants:

"It's a longshot, but I'm looking for an old 25" plus bandsaw frame for an odd project. Nothing rare or nice, it'd be repurposed as something else. Anyone have one they want to rehome?"

This is a candidate for the OWWM classifieds AKA BOYD.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I just noticed what he wants:

"It's a longshot, but I'm looking for an old 25" plus bandsaw frame for an odd project. Nothing rare or nice, it'd be repurposed as something else. Anyone have one they want to rehome?"

This is a candidate for the OWWM classifieds AKA BOYD.
    I agree with Van that OWWM's "bring out your dead" classified is the likeliest place to find what the OP is looking for. Just be sure to be upfront about your intended use. The spirit of OWWM is to restore, preserve and use old iron, and some would prefer not to sell to someone that intends to put it to another purpose. That should be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I agree with Van that OWWM's "bring out your dead" classified is the likeliest place to find what the OP is looking for. Just be sure to be upfront about your intended use. The spirit of OWWM is to restore, preserve and use old iron, and some would prefer not to sell to someone that intends to put it to another purpose. That should be respected.
    That is an excellent point I did not consider, but in fairness, the OP's goal is to trade someone a saw frame to build an English wheel in order to keep the said person from stripping a Tannewitz to allow the OP to restore and use the Tanny so the idea of preserving and restoring is actually the OP's objective as well.

They make a great start to an English wheel

I missed owwm, been there. Yep, I'm looking for a frame, to do a trade to get a sweet old tannewitz off death row. Wierd situation, but it is what it is I guess. Ironically, when I was looking for an old Oliver a few years back, there were several parts machines and frames around, no reasonably priced decent rebuildable machines.

I'm hoping I can just make a cash deal work unless something shows up, we shall see.

That seems like a noble cause that the OWWM folks would be happy to help with. If you post a WTB there, I bet you find something. Good luck!

Found one, now just need to make a deal!