Thread: jointers

jointers

Anyone know anything about an Italian company called Paolini. Looking at a 16'' jointer of theirs. I have not seen it in person yet just a couple pictures,looks real good heavy industrial. Parallelogram beds one negative is no gaurd. But I can probably just build one. Any advice would be welcome. Mike.

Pretty decent Italian stuff, similar to SCM or SAC but less common. Does it have a Tersa Head? They are a little lighter than a German, Polish or old US jointer but still heavy by most standards. It runs a 4.25" head which is a little smaller than the 5" run by some others but if tables are flat and motor is good, you are good to go. Italian small frame motors tend to need new bearings and fail sooner than old NEMA so give yourself a little room in the pricing in case. Dave

I worked in twp shops with Paloni planers. Everything inside the machines was beautiful. All the parts had machined finishes. Set up was logical and exact. I would buy a Paloni jointer, unless there was damage that could not be fixed.

Well boys I bought it. It is a beast,love the way those Italians build stuff. Was playing with stuff on it tonite and figured out how to adjust the parallel beds. Very simple and solid system way easier to adjust than the Delta DJ-20 that is also at my shop right now. Cant wait to use it. I am working thru the decision of putting a single phase motor in or the VFD route. What do you think either way ? Pros or cons ? Also considering putting new bearings in right away.Mike.

The head bearings will likely be a bit pricey, not sure I'd replace them unless necessary. Three phase motor bearings on the other hand are relatively cheap and easy to replace so.... maybe?

good luck,
    JeffD

If the motor is good, keep it. A similar frame metric motor and possibly a starter will be more expensive than a vfd- and a NEMA motor will mean a change of pulleys and belts. When you get into industrial machinery you want three phase. Dave

Blog Entries
    I use a rotary phase converter for one of the machines. I really dragged my feet in getting the converter but I really enjoy using it. It’s nice to simply use the machine like you normally would.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I really would like to install a rotary phase converter, however at this time I have nearly blown my "tool fund" for this year. We shall see,thanks for all the advice,Mike.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Well boys I bought it. It is a beast,love the way those Italians build stuff. Was playing with stuff on it tonite and figured out how to adjust the parallel beds. Very simple and solid system way easier to adjust than the Delta DJ-20 that is also at my shop right now. Cant wait to use it. I am working thru the decision of putting a single phase motor in or the VFD route. What do you think either way ? Pros or cons ? Also considering putting new bearings in right away.Mike.
    Go with a VFD. I have my bandsaw on a VFD and used to have a planer on one also. Dialling the planer down to about half normal speed made it almost dead quiet but didn't impact on quality of output. The bandsaw can be adjusted to a variety of conditions, such as cutting thick aluminium... The flexibly of having VFD for other machines is far better than spending the money on a single phase motor.

Mines mounted on the wall and I have a 3phase plug wired to it so I can plug in a variety of machines.

20180707_193811.jpg
    Last edited by matteo furbacchione; 07-07-2018 at 5:46 AM.