Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on the Apothecary Chest

Update on the Apothecary Chest

All the drawer fronts have been dovetailed. I spent some time preparing the drawer bottoms and drawer backs for next weekend.

Here is a very short video to illustrate the angles involved in the dovetailing ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looking very good Derek. I'm also interested in your approach to the drawer bottoms because of the progressive shrinking across the miter at the front. Plywood? Deep groove at the front?
    jim

Hi Jim

Deep groove for the drawer front. Then add the curves and refresh the groove.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Fun to watch.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Derek. With the drawers as narrow as yours shouldn't be a problem. Years back I made a desk with slanted front and drawers. The two top drawers were 14" wide and I was truly amazed how much difference that miter made. Been gun shy ever since.
    Jim

Derek, loving the video action - looking good.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Derek,

While it has been interesting following the discussion about how you tackled the angled dovetails, it just occurred to me was it even necessary?

It just hit me that instead of all that hi-jinx, you could have got some 8/4 stock for the front and dovetailed the drawer side straight on like normal, adjusting where the sides fit in the excessively thick front. Then once that is complete, just mark the front as you have already shown and bandsaw to match the curve. The added bonus would be the drawer would be square inside and it certainly would be easier to dovetail the sides. Had you considered that option?

Pete

I think that would give you terribly thick drawer fronts Pete. I once saw that in a hotel room with some fake antiques. Those overly thick drawer fronts looked awfull, very amateuristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Derek,

While it has been interesting following the discussion about how you tackled the angled dovetails, it just occurred to me was it even necessary?

It just hit me that instead of all that hi-jinx, you could have got some 8/4 stock for the front and dovetailed the drawer side straight on like normal, adjusting where the sides fit in the excessively thick front. Then once that is complete, just mark the front as you have already shown and bandsaw to match the curve. The added bonus would be the drawer would be square inside and it certainly would be easier to dovetail the sides. Had you considered that option?

Pete
    Hi Pete

This came up earlier. Briefly, two more reasons why not: firstly, I do not have access to 8/4 stock, but even more so, the grain run out would be great, and the fronts would look unmatched. I would then have needed to veneer the fronts. The run out has been minimised by angling the fronts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek, beautiful work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Kees,

Not sure how the drawer fronts could look amateurish when they are hidden inside the case that they fit in. It's a moot point if Derek can't get 8/4. Just a thought.

I think Kees is talking about a case where the front was band sawed off but the inside face was left untouched. That would look pretty thick on one corner and not very balanced looking in general, causing raised eyebrows when you use the drawers. I'm just guessing though.

Vince

Yes indeed Vincent. It is always difficult to express your thoughts and understand another one’s in these kind of threads.

Sometimes you end up with those thick drawer faces on things like bombes or block fronts. They always look odd with the drawer open with the drawer closed they look wonderful. In Derek's case he makes very legitimate arguments for his design, grain matching, material accessibility etc.
    Jim

looks fantastic. This is coming along very well. Well done on a very complicated project.