Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

2 Jul 2018

Greetings,
    Wow has it been hot here!! Heat index in the shop was 122 Degrees F on Saturday, needless to say that I wasn't in there for long. This is the part of our year that I dislike every year...the heat of the summer. It's not just the heat, it's the humidity that goes along with it. There are times when the air is so blasted heavy that it's very hard to even breath. I'm still on my eating plan and I'm getting better at it and I'm getting weight off. Seems like my entire life has been one solid wrestling match with weight. I am so ready to get back in the shop, but with this heat....I just can't do it. My test results came back negative for cancer and only shows fatty liver with some fibrosis of my liver. The doc seems positive about this and how to naturally help my liver improve. We'll see after my next visit with him. A new lease on life....I like that.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Happy to hear those test results, Dennis...and that you're continuing to "work the plan" successfully! And yea...a little toasty out right now. It will be 8 straight days of 90º+ and high humidity by the end of the week resulting in triple digit heat indexes. That's not so unusual for say, August, but not end-of-June/early-July for us.

Not a lot of excitement over the past week. Spent a little time in the shop tweaking some designs and creating a few more samples off the CNC, mowed the lawn a couple times, cleaned up my desk in my office quite a bit, but have a lot more to go, met with my accountant to hopefully get my accounting system live by like this afternoon (I hope...I have a lot of back transactions to load), spent yesterday afternoon enjoying a friend's pool and food, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My little garage shop was atrociously hot all week and weekend, but I did manage to finish a little jewelry box for my wife (mahogany and walnut). She's quite pleased. Finish and drawer flocking still to come. Too hot for that. Then I managed to get 5 sheets of 3/4 baltic birch processed into what will be my mitre station. Next step is to cut out the saw station, get that fitted and bolted down, and get the drawers in. Then the fence. It's coming along nicely though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really beautiful, William! Please be sure to post it in the Woodworking Projects forum area for "posterity".
    --

Glad to see the 'no cancer' comment, Dennis.

Another landscaping weekend. My fiance wanted a walkway from the patio to the firepit, so I started on that. There was a strip by the outbuilding where the lawn did not take too well, so I started by digging up some sod from the walkway and transplanted that to the outbuilding area. Then we took the rototiller and dug up the new path down to about 4-5 inches. Saturday morning, we dug that out. Then I went to the materials shop to get the stone. I had them scoop up a yard of 3/4" gravel into my trailer. As I was paying the handler asked me when I was going to do the work. I told him "Not today", he said he was going to warn me not to as it was already 95*.

Yesterday, I ran the compacter through the dirt and we laid down the gravel. After I ran the compactor through the stone, we had some lunch. We decided that we would attack the flagstones today, so I started to mow the lawn/weeds. I had gotten one area done and was just starting to do another area when it started to sprinkle. I saw the sky and decided to bail. Just as I was pulling the mower into the garage, the skies opened up. Looking at the radar later, the cell formed right over us. I think we got about 1-1.5" of rain in about a half hour. An hour after that, we got another cell heading through. Probably another 1" or so of rain. Fortunately, I had done a pretty good job of compacting the gravel, as there was a nice little stream headed down the walkway to the firepit...

Finished mowing the lawn and started taking the finish off of a nightstand for my fiance to paint. (It is a cheesy little stand made out of pine and maple, nothing special.)

And took the second shower of the day. It was either that or sleep on the floor.

Good news, Dennis.

I am heartily sick of running up and down ladders for the last 8 days. At work I have finally competed fitting out the new metrology lab. The ladder work was completing the ceiling. There were several structural beams to box in as well as the flushing and painting. I made the deadline and have now handed it over to the tech who is upgrading the co-ordinate measuring machines, commissioning them and calibrating them.

On the weekend I finished framing and sheeting the roof that blew off the neighbour's house. They were happy to be fully weatherproof again. I added in a few structural members that were left out when this addition was built. I am happy to report that the house does not rattle like it always used to.

Painting at work has been a challenge. We have had 95% humidity for days but unlike some of you, it is in the 9C temperature range. The warm room is working flat out. Cheers

Howdy folks,
    Over the last month or so I have been working on my shop (attached 20'x20' two car garage).
    It is still a work in progress but I have completed installing insulation on the garage door and I have installed a subpanel.
    I started painting July 1st and I have completed about 20% of that task.

I have been using a portable AC I got at Costco, DeLonghi 290HKWKC which has the largest cooling capacity I could find.
    My setup is not optimal, but it's the best I can do for right now.
    The house is 100% brick so I have to raise my garage door about 6" to vent the unit, I have the bottom gap blocked with some leftover insulation panel but there is a significant open gap at the top that I cannot do anything about. The only insulation my garage has is what I put on the door.
    Today the temperature is 102*F and the garage got up to a reasonably pleasant (dry feeling) 88*F before I quit working and shut everything down around 2:30-3:00.
    I just checked the temperature in the garage (4:00) and it's 93*F plus it feels muggy on top of that now.
    All things considered I think the portable AC along with two small fans works remarkably well.
    If anyone has been considering getting a portable AC I wholeheartedly recommend doing it, I think it was $500 well spent.

Charles, can you put a small flip up/down door in the garage door that will fit the portable AC venting without having to raise the whole big door? You should be able to make that pretty unobtrusive and also make it so you can secure it shut from the inside for security when not in use.
    --