Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving, a video.

Carving, a video.

The project I am working on, a chest for the bathroom in typical English country 17th century style, is moving along nicely. I am finished with all the carving work and while working on the last panel I decided to shoot some video of the proces. Not because I am such a terrific carver, more in the line of "If I can do it, everybody can". Tonight I linked them all together in Windows Photo editor and uploaded it to Youtube.

I hope you like it. You might get a bit nervous from the ever repeating Vivaldi fragment, but that was for free, so, deal with it. You can always turn down the volume.

Looks good, Kees. It is nice to see some ornament. Also nice to see a post that is not gimmicks and gadgets. I did see something blue around the two minute mark; was that the dreaded blue tape?

Thanks for the video Kees. What an instructional primer for a "non carver" like myself. How long have you been doing this type of work?
    David

Looks great Kees. Some good joke about "everyone can do it". I'm surly not an everyone like you. Looking forward to the finished piece.
    Jim

Looking good, Kees. As Jim said, looking forward to final product.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

a labor of love.

could you list out what tools (type & size) you used?

Simon

Thanks for posting, and it's nice to see it at true speed. Please show us more of that project .

Thanks everyone! It really is not as difficult asit might seem. Like always, break it down in small managable steps and it'll go. It doesn't need to be absolutely perfect, irregularities just add to the liveliness of the piece.

To answer the questions:

No Warren, that's no bleu tape . It's just a piece of paper.

David, this is my third project with carving like this, apart from some practice pieces. Even the first one, a "bible"box, didn't look too bad.

Simon, I'll add a list of sweeps and sizes later.

Mel, I have posted on and off about this project, but because I am such a lazy sod who is easilly distracted, it's been a while ago. Here is an old link:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=bathroom

Here are the tools I used. I do have a complete set, bought from a school who sold off several sets, so I probably used more gouges, but I think this is kind of the essential set. The #4's I use for background removal, a somewhat flatter profile could be usefull too. I have them sharpened with a fingernail profile so the corners do not dig into the other features. The #6's en #7's are for the various shaped and contours. Maybe 1 or 2 #8's might be usefull. The V-tool is essential too of course. All sweeps are German, who use a slightly different system from the Brits.

IMG_5909.jpg

And these are the punches. With some steel and a triangular file you can make everything you like.

IMG_5910.jpg

Thanks!

Simon

I really enjoyed your video Kees. You make it look so easy to do. I will definitely try some carving after watching you ; And will probably put on some Vivaldi as it sets the tempo very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Looks good, Kees. It is nice to see some ornament. Also nice to see a post that is not gimmicks and gadgets. I did see something blue around the two minute mark; was that the dreaded blue tape?

Simon

Blog Entries
    A wonderful and inspirational piece, thanks for posting Kees.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like the video, good example of the process and will hopefully get more people to try it.

For those looking try this out you can also start with smaller tool sets. I use a vtool a 5 and 8 sweep for most of what I do. I would swear I have a 3 somewhere but dont see it in my drawer... I would also stay with full length and avoid palm gouges, I have a bunch in a closet somewhere that I bought years ago but will likely never use again once I got the long ones.

Yes for sue you can do a lot with fewer tools. It is because I have a larger set, so I tend to use more of them of course.

And I agree totally on the palm gouges. I don't know what they are used for, smaller stuff I guess. Working with a mallet gives you a lot of control and I only use hand pressure for the refinements.
    Last edited by Kees Heiden; 07-02-2018 at 3:18 PM.