Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving, a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Yes for sue you can do a lot with fewer tools. It is because I have a larger set, so I tend to use more of them of course.

And I agree totally on the palm gouges. I don't know what they are used for, smaller stuff I guess. Working with a mallet gives you a lot of control and I only use hand pressure for the refinements.
    I agree, I started with a 12/8 8/10 and 5/8 and could do quite a bit but added many more since then. Mine have tended to multiply in terms of different sizes of the same sweep rather than different sweeps though. I have 5s and 8s in various sizes from 3-20.

I have done more figure carving than flat work recently but your video I think has me inspired to do some relief carving this week. I can also see a 3 in maybe around 14 coming home with me from woodcraft for background work.

I’d like a few 8’s too. They make better cirkels. And a tighter V-tool of 60 degrees. Now I have a small and a large 90 degree. No idea why that is usefull in a set.

3D carving is next on my wishlist but I don’t quite know how to get started. And I have no ideas yet what I want to make.

Blog Entries
    3D carving is next on my wishlist but I don’t quite know how to get started. And I have no ideas yet what I want to make.
    As with many things in life, if one starts without knowing what they want, what they end up with will not likely be it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

These were a simple project I did last fall/early Winter as Christmas gifts. The quantity of the game pieces took time but individually each is fairly easy using just a knife and a 15/3 vtool (one of the higher angle ones).

And this was the original prototype, it was larger than the final pieces ended up being. It was my first figure carving (I had done lots of wood spirits and stuff before).

I do mostly flat plane style carving now but dont have any pictures handy. It is a relatively easy style to learn.

Nice! And i like simple shapes like this.

It is a good style to start with as the focus is on simple shapes and figure carving principles that translate well into more detailed or refined looking carvings as well. If you would like a resource to try it out Harley Refsal has good materials out there. I have toyed around with many different styles and keep coming back to flat plane carving.