Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Credit card reward programs

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I buy everything at Lowes with gift cards I get for 10% off with a CC that gives 2% back; so I am getting a 12% discount. (I also use 10% discount coupons, so I effectively get 21% off. A lot of work, but I enjoy the challenge. Oh, and AA gives me 2 miles/$ for tying into their mileage program, so that takes it to 23% off.)
    If you're a veteran, Lowes will give you a 10% discount. They have a program where you sign up - you may have to show your DD-214. I think you then register your credit card and any purchases on that card get 10%. I looked into it but never signed up because the Lowes is too far from me. Home Depot gives 10% if you have a VA card.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-03-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lowe's will put your military discount on their "My Lowe's" shopping account, no credit card needed. Like any other loyalty program. Then you can use any card you want and still get the 10%, plus whatever rewards your card offers.

Home Depot has more strict limitations on military discounts, but I can't remember the details. Maybe active and retired only? Not sure. I just recall that Lowe's was more permissive on who qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Lowe's will put your military discount on their "My Lowe's" shopping account, no credit card needed. Like any other loyalty program. Then you can use any card you want and still get the 10%, plus whatever rewards your card offers.

Home Depot has more strict limitations on military discounts, but I can't remember the details. Maybe active and retired only? Not sure. I just recall that Lowe's was more permissive on who qualified.
    The requirements for the Home Depot 10% discount USED to be (I haven't checked lately) that it was only offered to active duty, retired and disabled veterans (all year long. Offered to all veterans on certain days, such as Veteran's Day). For active duty and retired, you have a military ID. For disabled veterans, you needed a VA ID card with the words "Service Connected" under the picture.

I don't think they really stick to that. I have a VA ID with the words but my wife bought something there and just asked for the discount because she was married to a veteran - and they gave it to her!

As long as you have some indication of military service you can probably get the discount at HD.

Mike

[HD also has a program where they'll email you a copy of your receipt. You have to register your credit card (you can register multiple cards) and any time you use one of the registered credit cards, you'll get an email with your receipt. I like this because it makes it easy to save receipts.
    I wish they would do the same with the Veterans discount so I wouldn't have to keep showing my VA ID every time I make a purchase there (to get the discount).]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-03-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

As long as you have some indication of military service you can probably get the discount at HD.
    Nope. I was an early out "at the convenience of the government" (that's what it actually says) because my MOS was outsourced, and they won't give me the discount. They USED to accept that, then stopped, and changed their policy.