Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe of interest to some?

Yeah I’m kinda anal retentive about a tidy workspace. I clean as I make messes all day then I spend a good 20 minutes at days end vacuuming everything from benches to machines to flora and putting away all my tools.

I’d loose my freaking mind any other way resulting in really resale shotty work. If my souroundings are a mess, my mind is a mess.

True craftsmanship goes well beyond the joinery...as you mention, it's also about carefully selecting material for color, grain, orientation and a homogeneous look. Honestly, that's actually the first step in the finishing process and comes even before you start assembling anything!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is a really enjoyable thread. It puts a big smile on my face to see fine craftsmanship in what some might call everyday pieces. Not the kind of attention to detail found in mass produced cabinetry. I hope the clients (and your boss) appreciate the effort and quality.

I was just teasing Patrick. I clean up frequently too, but mine rarely looks as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing some more.

That’s a full day of sanding. A looooong full day. Makes me really appreciate work put together with zero glue and every piece is finished prior to assembly.

I really do hate plywood, sandpaper and glue. I’m just not good enough yet to get the bumper sticker.

For real I enjoyed building these two units. Sadly I think I’ll be out of the shop for a few weeks installing a number of projects we spent the last few months building. I despise insataltion or field work in general. Sadly I’m good at it and it pays the bills.

Next up is a roll top desk. If I can conjure up the will I’ll post pictures of that. I’m not much for these posts as I really never have the time. Im 40hrs in this week already that’s starting Monday and working through the holiday.

Bed time...

7C642F63-2D2B-49C4-B45C-CD2342511265.jpg

I hope so also?

I think my boss appreciates me, actually I know he does. Why in th heck else would he finance the toy below for me and let me pay it off with my overtime. As for the client I doubt it. Bet the stuff ends up in a dumpster in the next ten years.

I’m just outside Boston and the people that can afford to buy custom cabinetry generally I don’t think have any real appreciation for craftsmanship. I think for the most part they just expect everything to be nice and think everything is nice as they can generally have whatever they want. In most cases they don’t even know what they want they have Architect or decorator telling them what they like.

That may sound bitter and it might be but not really. I think it’s just sadly the way it is with the wealthy often “not all” times..

29201566-A6EA-45A6-94E9-6276F9A25857.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    This is a really enjoyable thread. It puts a big smile on my face to see fine craftsmanship in what some might call everyday pieces. Not the kind of attention to detail found in mass produced cabinetry. I hope the clients (and your boss) appreciate the effort and quality.

I didn’t take offense.

I take great pride in my anal retentiveness..

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I was just teasing Patrick. I clean up frequently too, but mine rarely looks as nice as yours. Looking forward to seeing some more.

So....did you size this piece so it would exactly fit on that beautiful bench you made recently? LOL Every. Square. Inch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw that Jim. I was afraid it might fall off of the bench God forbid.

Patrick, I hope you can post some of the desk build. It's nice to see good talented craftsmanship in action. This post was enjoyed.

Spectacular material and work on that plane rack. Hundred years from now someone on a wood forum will want info on removing the "ghosts" on that "table top".

If it doesn't fit the size of my bench exactly I dint take the job

Thanks Michael it's nice to be called a craftsman. Often I think if myself as nothing more than s "box cabinet" maker.

I did have to spin the units atop the bench myself. It was hairy, I was just waiting to chip a leg.

Wait till you all see the horrific stain color chosen for the units. They are fitting in the spray booth right now all stained waiting fir conversion varnish. Another product I really really don't like!

Removing the ghosts o the table top..
    Forgive me I'm lost.
    I'm a bit self admittedly blonde..

It's an old term for color change caused by an object in one place for a long time shielding the surface under it from light and dirt.