Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe of interest to some?

Mel,

I don’t knowmhow that went right over my head. I was in the shop of my employer today and I think the heat was melting my brain.

Whomever thinks they are going to repurpose the plane rack in 100 years is gonna have to tend to a million screw holes form the brass screws I’ll be using to attach all the ebony cleats.

In all reality I think the rack will sit as it for probably a number of years to come while I acquire the rest of the LN planes I want. I don’t want to start putting cleats up before I can lay everything out the last square inch.

It is kinda shame to cover up all that beautiful wood with planes but I promise I have plans to leave the best figure exposed. And with the ebony cleats and beautiful LN planes it should be as beautiful to look at then as it is now?

Honestly, the ebony cleats on that beautiful background will just highlight now nice those planes also look!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Next on the docket.

So a quick back story on this. I stared building this desk like three times to date only to be pulled off by my boss to a more time sensitive project. The time has come though that this has to be done ASAP.

As you will in the plans the desk proper is flanked by tow box cabinet full overlay cabinets. The grain orientation is horizontal QS cherry.

Ok enough of that, the specifics will soon revail them self. I’ll say this project is surely destined for a dumpster. It’s has a phenomenal 1.75” thick desk top made from of the most amazing 8/4 boards I have ever seen. Sadly my boss paid dearly for these boards from a very reputable but overpriced source. At the time he was the only person with enough 8/4 QS cherry for what we needed. A couple months ago I built this two legged table that hands off the side of a large kitchen island for this same project. Ill dig up,pictures of that also.

Anyway back to the dumpster. Other than the top this whole thing is made of MDF and QS cherry Veneer. The veneer was still very expensive but I just loath and despise MDF. I’m clealry a hardwood snob. Even knowing it has it s place and uses I still hate it just as much as I do cnc machines, conversion varnish, plywood and glue.

So back to staring this months ago. I made a moch up of the top portion only to figure out my exact tambour louvre and dado dimension and make jigs for everything. I made the lovers out of crap soft maple and the carcass out of 3/4 mdf. I have it sitting in the shop still and will take a few picks next time I’m there.

To date I have the QS cherry tambour made and pressure fit into a jig awaiting me to contact cement it down. I also have as shown I the bellow pictures the 1.75” thick QS cherry desk to- made.

The finished front profile of the desk is 2.5” I think. Butt matched veneer sheet we’re purchased as to get a continuous grain across the the three pieces that comprise the whole project. The desk is built into a wall that flanks it both left and right.

I have done pretty much zero veneer work to date. Well that’s not true but it has been a small piece her and a small piece there over a number of years. Nothing like this.

Pics to follow.

And so it begins again..

60A26288-61A5-42B3-A068-ED53CBB0D31F.jpg

Side profile of center unit or roll top desk.

ED67F3BB-F5FC-4E8E-B0F1-FAC695117954.jpg

Full size template of carcass side panel with all dados and grooves included. I used this to make my router template for the dado the tambout will travel in.

E60DF767-C53B-44DC-AA68-E78061BED065.jpg

The QS veneer sheet stock

DCC31787-739E-49E0-AA2F-CEDA9857EA94.jpg

Veneer bag setup ready to go.

EC22E6D9-641F-44F5-B7C3-03330534F893.jpg

Fingers crossed I don’t screw anything major up

Tomorrow it’s back to work..

Side panels and template to route dado for tambour

9640D39B-C9B5-4EF9-BE3C-4A195F2456CB.jpg

QS top glue up

92BA0568-8CE3-42F2-AB0D-31A6CD7FF003.jpg

Pictures of the QS two legged cherry table I made a month or two ago.

As you can see it has a cutout in one corner where it indexes into a large island with waterfall stone edges.

A template the dimension and size of my table was attached to the island. After installation the counter or stone guys will template around my template. After stone is in I will remove the template and my table will slide right in and be lag bolted to the island. 1.25: stone will act as additional support to the non legged side.

Again not my design..

861A3C73-6FEE-4AEF-853B-933E18F404EC.jpg

F230DC64-2DB3-4266-9150-683C90D4086E.jpg

CBF51888-55A0-42CC-87B9-0CF9D0C449EA.jpg

A9949B63-2775-4283-9CC8-0DA979793F14.jpg

DD62F4F7-CB49-47AE-A4AC-3DA6B79EE0B9.jpg

E33BA527-D651-49C1-9AE1-D2A814D0022B.jpg

AA84B6FD-7DEA-4873-87E9-2564B3787007.jpg

Oops those pictures of the table with the top on are before it was finished. I think the top is just placed on the legs.

It now has the notch cut into it that matches the shape of the apron. The edge has a hand planed chamfer and it’s attached with the oak buttons or whatever you want to call them into oversized holes cross grain.

You might ask why the draw bore pegs became square. Well let’s just say I’m far from perfect. I miss marked a pin and stareted to drive a peg. The peg went in at a angle and crushed the soft cherry. The tow legs were already joined to the horn apron piece and I was attaching the long apron pieces.

Most cases I would had thrown everything in the trash in a case like this. Sadly this lumber was $26bf and I ordered only enough 16/4 rift leg stock to make the two legs. I had no choice. I still hate looking at those huge square pegs.

Thank god it’s not in house and I don’t have to hurt inside evertime I walk by it.

Got the interiors of the carcass panels veneered up over the weekend.

Bellow is the mdf mock up I made to figure out the tambour thickness and dado it travels in.

01447B5D-6ADA-4336-99E7-09F08DF60A9F.jpg

The actual upper portion of the piece is a bit taller. The whole thing also has a face frame of sorts or rather side and top panels that finish at 2.5” this is just a mock up of from the desk top up.

I had also never built a tambour somthis also acted as a experiment for all the ins and out involved in that. I have actually been pretty surprised at how fairly straight forward it all is. Time consuming but straight forward.

I got pulled in and out of the shop a bit this week so today was the first real full uniterupted day I have put into the project in a few days.

Today I got two interior panels all marked up for the dados that I hope will hold this thing together along with the dado the tambour travels in. I still have to clean all the radiused corners.

I’m very very happy to have this part of the project behind me. I have been loathing this day for since I figured out how I would construct this piece. One wrong move and I would have all kinds of problems on my hands.

I only have So Many pieces of matched veneer to make this happen. Actually I have just enough pieces to make the project with no room for error. To be honest I short one piece and will be making up a piece of veneer from rough lumber I have to go source Thursday morning.

You will notice in the pictures bellow that most of the dados are mdf in the grooves. The dado the tambour travels in is actually through and through cherry.

I]yo thread I think I posted a picture of the to interior panels I inlaid a half inch of solid wood in where the tambour would end up traveling.

6796717E-5446-43BF-8BA3-75E8186EB030.jpg

2E75CEF5-1DE0-4A59-8256-5994AFA2DA56.jpg

0563AF8F-E074-4785-9DA3-0F806935FCF0.jpg

C94AB238-DB77-467F-BBE4-2A5EF9B9D73F.jpg

Just gotta clean themor square the corners and get out any burn marks left by router but.

I can take a deep breath now.

Sadly I have to spend all day tomorrow moving finished cabinets in need of installation to their new homes vrs in the shop building.

As stressed as I was to “not screw something up today” i can remember thinking to myself. Everyday I get to do this for a living it’s like winning freaking lottery I love it so much.

That got me to thinking a bit. I started thinking that I love doing stuff that leaves me feeling like I just got away with something. Then I thought if I say that people will misinterpret what I’m trying to say. I don’t mean like lie, cheat, steal but more like prior to Woodworking I was a professional cyclist for a time, then spent a number of years ice and rock climbing nearly full time. I really just love doing stuff that requires ones full attention and a commitment to always doing the best one can. Ice and rock climbing and cycling actually forced both matters. Both actually taught me how to 100% give my attention to the task at hand and nothing else. Cycling taught me that hard work and dedication usually results in success, it also taught me to never give up.

I guess I have gotten old if I get my kicks from building stuff that generally has no room for error. Well there’s always some kinda error if I’m to be completely honest. Just not errors one that one can not recover from. I guess same could be said for the above sports also. Sometimes you gotta just throw it in the trash start from the beginning and not let failure get the best of you and forcing another screw up.

I get this is a piece of crap mdf box cabinet and not a actual piece of furniture. Still there’s a few new challenges for me with this piece.

521A3BF6-6263-455B-8CB5-D4FF12A35D8F.jpg

E4ED039B-B3E3-4770-8FBB-43FE2DE4D100.jpg

Long posts usually can’t hold my attention, but yours never disappoint. Awesome projects!

Same for me Jeb.

Don’t know why Im so long winded. You’d think I’d know better being if a post is more than a couple sentences it’s time to abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Long posts usually can’t hold my attention, but yours never disappoint. Awesome projects!

Not much to report today. Sadly I spent a whole day loading and unloading large box truck full of cabs to be installed.

Tomorrow I’ll get some shop time again, I think? Got. Go to the lumber yard also so who knows...

I did get a couple pictures of one of two units for a desk I built a number of weeks ago now. The whole desk is L shaped. It has a carcass on the far left and right sides that support it along with a apron attaching the two. It also has a solid tiger maple top. I think the longest run was like 108”? The whole thing runs wall to wall.

Anyway I didn’t instal or attach the drawer faces to the boxes so mind you p’s&q’s on that one! I was pretty unhappy when I took this unit out of moving blankets and saw what I saw. What are you gonna do, I can’t do everything as I have to keep building.

Pretty nice for a box cabinet though I’d say. The drawers and sized to hold legal files.

84F2C48B-A4BE-4914-A993-1D8D6AD775C4.jpg

E1435BB4-921F-48E8-BA74-65964D56195F.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 07-11-2018 at 9:20 PM.