Thread: The Notorious B.I.G. - A Scrollsaw Portrait

The Notorious B.I.G. - A Scrollsaw Portrait

I finished a scrollsaw portrait of Biggie Smalls over the weekend that I will be gifting to a friend for his birthday in March. I think it came out well, and I am super excited to give it to him!

The step-by-step process is in the Imgur link below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/X15hE

Very cool! You have to have extreme patience for that kind of detail.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Very cool! You have to have extreme patience for that kind of detail.
    Thanks! I just focus on the process and not the end result, and remind myself that I'll finish when I finish. This way it stays an enjoyable hobby versus a "task that needs to get done."

That is really impressive. Pulling that sort of thing off takes considerable skill in many different areas of woodworking. And I especially like the fact that you made something your friend will really enjoy..... I know lots of folks who would love a personalized portrait of their favorite rapper like you made there... Yet they would throw away a hand made bowl, turned pen, or jewelry box...

Blog Entries
    That's awesome!

Haha thanks. This is one of those gifts that I have no doubt my friend is going to love. His walls are already decked out with rap-inspired art work, so he'll have no problem finding a spot for it.

Sean, will you please upload the photos here or at least link to a few directly? It will be helpful to our members who have slower Internet and also preserve them for the future. Thanks in advance!

Very nice work, by the way!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

All I can say is, "Wow !" Is that your own design ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Rippen View Post
    ...it stays an enjoyable hobby versus a "task that needs to get done."
    This is my philosophy of woodworking, as well. The joy comes from the challenge and the doing. The end result is a fringe benefit.

Edit: This is in response to Yonak's question.

No, the design itself is not my own. The design was compiled from two "posterized" pictures of Biggie already available on google. I took the face from one of the pictures and the crown from another. I projected the images onto a wall and traced them onto white butcher paper as my template.
    Last edited by Sean Rippen; 01-30-2018 at 4:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sean, will you please upload the photos here or at least link to a few directly? It will be helpful to our members who have slower Internet and also preserve them for the future. Thanks in advance!

Very nice work, by the way!

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Thank you, and yeah, I can upload some pictures directly. My office blocks Imgur, so I'll have to do it later from the house.

That's awesome. I would have guessed nobody on this forum knew who he was.

Very cool.

Yes,I would not have imagined Biggie to ever come up here with this forum's demographic!

Nice to have the diversity though.

Late to the party, but, damn, that’s cool. Being a fan of gangsta rap, I appreciate the subject matter.

ya. wow. thats way cool..